Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speakers in Shop

Speakers in Shop

I just purchased a bluetooth soundbar and subwoofer for my woodshop. I'm worried about what the fine sawdust might do to them over time. I wouldn't usually worry about something like this getting ruined but this speaker setup is about $350 and I want to make sure they are safe from the elements. One thought was to build a box with black speaker material surrounding it to keep the dust out but I'm worried about heat build up with low air circulation. Maybe a cooling fan?

Any ideas from you guys?
    sound bar.jpg

Don't worry about it. Dust hasn't been an issue in music gear since phonograph records went away.

Blog Entries
    I have been running my ($50 on clearance) system for nearly 7 years. Sub has a down-firing speaker and the amp/controls. Similar to a sound bar it uses a single satellite with phase-tweaking to simulate multiple sound-points. Just the stock grill cloth has been sufficient.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-28-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Don't worry about it. Dust hasn't been an issue in music gear since phonograph records went away.
    Well, I would worry about dust. Not necessarily worried about dust in the speaker if it is a sealed box, not ported. But if you have ever worked on electronics that are subject to a large amount of dust you wouldn't make such a blanket statement.
    And I am safe to say that you are definitely out of the loop concerning the going away of phonograph records.
    I believe the same logic concerning dust on tools would apply to dust on electronics. Dust contains salts that attract moisture, causing rust to develop. Rust is not good for tools or electronics.

I would do whatever is required to keep the dust out of your electronics. Better safe than sorry.

Kim
    (pretty deep into vintage audio )
    Last edited by Kim Gibbens; 07-28-2012 at 2:59 PM. Reason: grammar

The speakers should handle dust and heat well. It's the electronics that I'd want to keep away from both.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I don't think there is a definative answer. I have had Vintage receivers (Pioneer and Marantz) that have lived in the shop environment with no issues. I think the longest stint for any of them was about 5 years, but I did open them up and blow out the dust once a year or so (easier with this equipment than yours). I have had ported speakers (AR, Dynaudio, Paradigm) that spent years in the shop also same deal, no failures but they were dusty inside when I opened them up to clean them out. My biggest concern in your case would be the subwoofer. It probably has very open electronics inside it and will actively be moving air in and out of the box constantly and not sure how the electronics of inexpensive imported stuff is going to stand up. My suggestion is find a corner etc in the shop that is the least dusty for the sub since placement is not very critical for a sub anyway and you aren't going to be doing critical listening there anyway. For the sound bar I would also place it with some thought to how dusty the area is and if you are really worried about it just build a speaker cloth "box" to set over it, just make the volume of the "box" 4-5 times the height of the soundbar and you shouldn't have any heat issues. In the end if it were me I would stick them where I wanted them and clean them 1-2 times a year.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yes, think its only the electronics that have the problem with dust (computers too, big time)
    I built a box (OSB and some hardwood corners) for my amplifier, under-mounted to a workbench.
    I drilled several 1 1/2" holes in the bottom of the OSB box for ventilation.
    Hard for the dust to get at the top of the AMP, where it could settle into the vents.
    Think it runs OK like that, doesn't seem warm to the touch.
    And of course all shop electronics should be on a surge protector.
    I lost two TVs some years back in my shop.No Surge Protector. The TVs got fried. But our local power grid is somewhat erratic.
    OT, but what seems a very delicate component is the wireless modem. Mine got fried last year during the August Hurricane, WITH a surge protector.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 07-29-2012 at 3:35 AM.

I've had problems with mildew ( on the speaker cones) and corrosion ( electronics ) if your shop isn't climate controlled.......

(granted it took a couple years to show up ).

Dust acts like a blanket and traps heat.

Honestly? In a shop?
    Not a lot to worry about there as far as dust is concerned as long as you practice even a small amount of good dust control measures around ths shop.

In my over 20 years of working on computers and printers, I can say hands down. the worst of the worst as far as dust goes, had one thing in common.
    Carpeting.

My bet is that your shop is far more dust free than your living room.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

My bet is that your shop is far more dust free than your living room.
    Well, this is a bet I would take. No question. (and my living room DOES have a lot of dust, but nothing compared to my shop..... )

I would not worry about dust affecting a speaker. The cloth grill on the front of the cabinet will protect the speaker. I have a set of speakers I picked up at Best Buy that were on clearance about 6 years ago. Been hanging on the wall since and still functioning as designed. A little dusty but working.

My solution would be to not put expensive stereo equipment in your shop

Seriously though, I picked up some used gear of CL for next to nothing and it works fine without me having to worry about dust. As the others have said the speakers are not a problem. The electronics are and that's where I'd focus my attention

good luck,
    JeffD

I have a boombox that is over 20 years old that has been in the shop for 10 years and no issues. it is plenty loud enough to be heard even over machines. I don't even think about it other than to turn it on and off.

First, I would question why you spent $350 on shop speakers, but to each their own!

Here is the set-up I am installing in my shop:

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai...keywords=lepai

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o06_s00_i00

Along with a bluetooth adpater for my phone:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

I like the Lepai Amp and took it on a recomendation from friend's due to it being a "sealed" design, not a lot of chance for dust entrance...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    My solution would be to not put expensive stereo equipment in your shop

Seriously though, I picked up some used gear of CL for next to nothing and it works fine without me having to worry about dust. As the others have said the speakers are not a problem. The electronics are and that's where I'd focus my attention

good luck,
    JeffD

I'm with JeffD on this. My shop "stereo" is a hand me down. AKA free. I like to listen to what I'm doing, vice loud music..... Background music only. But then, my souped up Dynaco tube amp has been idle for a long time. It's somewhere collecting the dust in my shop.