Thread: How to Clean Band Saw Wheels ?????

How to Clean Band Saw Wheels ?????

I have a 14" Delta Band Saw. The wheels have some build up of pitch & saw dust on them that all most seems baked on them. What's the best way to try to clean them. The tires themselves seem to be in great shape so I don't want to ruin them. Any suggestions???
    Thanks. Joe

Hot soapy water will remove most if not all of the problem.

For the really hard "baked on stuff" I have had good luck with commercial blade cleaners, I use the CMT product but there arelots of them out there.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Maybe alittle lacquer thinner on a rag,but have you installer one of those brushes that rub the wheel to help keep dust etc off the wheel before the blade embedded all the saw dust into the rubber----Carroll

Triangular machininst's scraper.

Remove the blade, have an assistant turn the wheel while you carefully place the scraper on the tire, apply light pressure to scrape off crud but leave the tire unscathed. The square corner of a chisel (NOT THE EDGE!) or a cabinet scraper work pretty well too.

Some fools might do this under power, but you didn't hear it from me ;-)
    2130FxbEADL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

6. Exactly as what I would like to suggest!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. As soon as I get a little spare time I'll try some of your suggestions. I need to replace the blade anyway so I'll work on the wheels when I take the old blade off.
    Then I think I'll put it up for sale as I don't really use it any more.

This video is a great help in setting up your band saw: ToolGuideArticle.aspx-id=34055

On my Delta 14" after cutting some 1/2" rubber the tires were all messed up
    I tried scrapping but resorted to taking the tires off and putting back on inside out,
    that was 4 years ago, so far so good
    Carpe Lignum