Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Saw versus Cabinet Saw

Track Saw versus Cabinet Saw

Hello All,

I am in need of freeing up some shop/garage space.

It seems that track saws have come a long way and may be a viable alternative to a cabinet saw for me. I currently have a PM2000 and I think if I could get by without it, then that would solve my space problems.

I have been building basic home furniture projects, like bookcases, beds, small tables, etc... I generally buy wood and joint, plane, rip and glue-up to make the wide pieces as needed. Some more tables and bookcases are on the list for future projects. Just a hobbyist, not-professional.

I do not have any experience with track saw setups or what they can do. But from what I have read they seem to be able to do some accurate rips with the right setup.

Experiences / opinions.

TIA

I am surprised there haven't been any answers yet but it is a somewhat involved topic and maybe people don't like to type long answers on the weekend??

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=track+saw

Thats one thread with lots of insight in general. There have been lots of discussions specifically about what you ask so along with any answers here you may want to spend some time searching the forum because this does come up from time to time.

I don't use my tracksaw as a replacement for a TS so I won't comment much but from what I have seen it certainly is doable and even less of an issue if you have a good bandsaw (which has a much smaller footprint than a TS).
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

its my belief that with the right circular saw you can replace a table saw with a track saw. festool or eureka zone would be my choices for replacing the table saw. i have the eureka zone track(s) and makita saw. accuracy of the either of the systems comes down to how well you line things up. they both have accessories to aid in speed and repeat ability. i generally use my track saw over my table saw. with the exception of the bigger sliding saws a track saw system would be the best way to break down sheet goods. today if i were to buy a track saw system i would get the festool. festool didn't have a track saw system back when i got mine. i also built a table that is 2'x4' that has extension. it will fully support a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. similar to but not as fancy as this http://www.garymkatz.com/ChartsDrawi...mbly-table.htm

I got a killer deal on the DeWalt Tracksaw earlier this year and love it. It is so much nicer then a straight edge and my crappy circular saw. That being said I would never give up my table saw for a track saw. The table saw is just too versatile. I would give up every tool in my shop before I would give up my table saw, but that is just me. I started out with just a curcular saw and a drill. I would not want to go back.

I have a Festool track saw. Every time it is use it does an exceptional job.
    I'm with Cary though, I wouldn't give up my unisaw for it.

I have the Festool TS55 and the MFT/3 and a fuill size table saw. You can do a lot with the ts55 and I love my MFT/3, however, nothing takes the place of the CS IMO. The issue is cutting small things with the TS55 is not possible (without a lot of hassle), .vs. the CS. Now I will say this cutting large pieces down is perfect for the TS55, and If crosscutting large pieces its the bomb. Don't get rid of the CS they are complementary tools not replacements. Just my humble opinion

I've had a track saw system for almost ten years now (Eurekazone) and I just sold my Unisaw earlier this year. I just finished a big job of making a full set of kitchen cabinets and only used the TS for ripping long rail/style stock and dado-ing box parts. I too am tight on space in a garage shop so what I did was pick up a Bosch GTS-1031 portable TS. It had good reviews, only 50#, all accessories store on the saw, and you can store it on it's end vertically. My track saw bench (EZ-One) is stored at the ceiling with a cable lift system called heavy-lift by Racor.

Good Luck,

Mike

Festool actually just did a survey on this very topic and it will be interesting to see if they ever publish the results.

A good track saw can do a whole lot of the same work that a cabinet saw can do, so depending on your projects you may be able to consider moving in that direction. I will state, however, that I don't feel comfortable with narrow rips with the more portable solution. If you have a good band saw, then that aspect could be covered in a functional way given you also have a jointer and planer to clean things up. There are some construction techniques, however, that go better with a sled on a table saw. So what you might consider is reducing the footprint of your cabinet saw so you can use it for ripping and sled/miter cross cutting work, rather than being a "do everything" tool, and employ a good track saw for bigger material, such as sheet goods.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a track saw, cabinet saw, and a slider. They all excel at different tasks and suck for others. I recently had to do a lot of on site work using the Festool. Cutting accurate clean seams with it was enjoyable and improved my work. Ripping build up with the track saw quickly became a miserable job. Shaving a hair off of a two inch strip was almost impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I have a track saw, cabinet saw, and a slider. They all excel at different tasks and suck for others. I recently had to do a lot of on site work using the Festool. Cutting accurate clean seams with it was enjoyable and improved my work. Ripping build up with the track saw quickly became a miserable job. Shaving a hair off of a two inch strip was almost impossible.
    +1 What Johnny sais !!!!
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

I don't use my table saw much, 50% of the work it does is probably dado's .. Having said that, I would not get rid of it .. Squaring up panels, dado's .. Its got applications that it really excels at ..

A tracksaw is not a replacement for a tablesaw. The tracksaw is married to the tape measure, which is very inaccurate.
    The tablesaw is faster and more accurate at what it does.

That being said, you can use a tracksaw exclusively, if you are willing to work around its limitations.

No way could a tracksaw replace my tablesaw.
    It does not have near the surface area for piling miscellaneous crap on.

Earlier this year I bought a track system from Eureka Zone, and some accessories for it too. I still have my tablesaw, but find that I use it less and less. If I need a really precise miter joint, I'll use the tablesaw with my Incra miter gauge, but other than that, it's pretty much tracksaw for most things. I have their "cabinet maker" which is a miter square that attaches to the track, and two "repeaters" which are extendable arms that touch the wood for repeatable spacing of repetitive cuts. With those, I can square up a 4x8 panel, then crosscut and rip it down to finished size. There are other accessories that I don't have which would give me even more capabilities, but I don't have the budget for more tools. I can do everything that I need to do with what I already have. Although there is a great deal of overlap on the capabilities of a track system and a table saw, each tool will excel at some tasks but be useable on others. I can do narrow rips on the track saw, but it's easier on the table saw. I can do plywood sizing on the table saw, but it's lots easier (and much safer) with the track saw. A lot of it boils down to what tasks do you do most? Do you work mostly with sheet goods or solid wood? Do you make pens or bookcases? Those with more experience with track saws than I have often say that after using them for a while, you start to think differently about how to approach cutting the wood and think of new ways to use the track system.

Jim,

I have a Festool TS55 and love it. I use it primarily for breaking down plywood sheets, but I do not consider it a full replacement for a table saw. I cannot imagine trying to rip a 4" x 10' piece of stock with it, especially since I only have ~8' of track. To work properly, the track needs to sit on the work being cut to hold it down. I also have a Jet ProShop TS, and love it as well.

If I wanted to get rid of a cabinet saw, I'd look into getting a portable contractor table saw and some support stands. I used to have a Delta Rockwell Homecraft 9" TS/4" jointer combo on a mobile base, which was the 1950's equivalent, and it was quite a space saver. I did spend a lot of time setting up support stands and leveling them with the TS top, but that was the tradeoff for working in a small space.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey