Thread: Maybe a use for this old iron?

Question Maybe a use for this old iron?

I have a hunk of iron/steel, about 1-1/2" wide, by 6-1/2" long, by 3/16" thick. It has a couple slots in it, as well. Might be able to make an Iron of some sort out of it. Slots are 3/8" wide. With a 1/2" wide strip on each side. One end, the slot is open, suggesting a tongue cutter. The other slot is closed up, suggesting a way to hold the iron in place. No edges have been ground (yet) and i'm wondering what project to do with this.SDC12810.jpgSDC12811.jpgHomemade block plane, Cutter to make tonges with, or maybe a #3 sized smoother? Just looking for a way to use this besides a paper-weight. Ugly at doing that, though...

I made two marking knives ( left/right) from a laminated iron that had 3/8" of laminated steel left, useless for a plane, but sufficient for marking knives.

That doesnt seem like it would be the right kind of steel

I agree. This doesn't seem like high carbon steel. It looks more like pressed soft steel for assembly or support for something. If it is, you can't use it as a blade or even be able to harden it.

Agreed. Mild steel is no good for a blade.

Hi Steven

If you look carefully at this letter knife you will recognise the cut-out of a Stanley plane blade ...

Regards from Perth

Derek