Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Cats...

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    Try not to come the heavy if stuff goes wrong, the biggest cause of intractable issues with cats is a stressful environment.
    Yeah, cats have an amazingly low tolerance for human stress. They know when someone is unhappy and rarely have any interest in hanging around to see how it ends. They keep notes too.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

2cats.JPG

These guys obviously own the place. They let us live here as long as we pay the mortgage and utilities and keep the food dishes filled.

IT_Tech.JPG

Here's the snoozervisor helping Dad with a computer problem/upgrade.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-14-2012 at 8:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    2cats.JPG

These guys obviously own the place. They let us live here as long as we pay the mortgage and utilities and keep the food dishes filled.

IT_Tech.JPG

Here's the snoozervisor helping Dad with a computer problem/upgrade.
    The snoozervisor seems to have decided it's a good time to take a break.

PHM

Sun beams are like a stun gun to cats. At first contact they tend to roll around a bit, but ultimately become immobilized. Usually a gentle shake of the kitty treat container or opening a fresh can of cat food usually revives them.

Whoever walks into the kitchen in the morning is meet with a very vocal demand from Reverb for her breakfast. More than once I have dished up her breakfast only to find out the wife had dished her up earlier in the morning. What a con artist. Good thing Reverb can't type, otherwise I'm sure she would be working the internet, scamming old ladies out of tweety birds and mieces.

Blog Entries
    its nice to see so many cat lovers, i have had cats most all of my life. we have two indoor cats (Peanut & Squeak)
    my mother feeds the outdoor strays and has been doing that for 15-20 years or so? Squeak is one of those that would come around for food and water every day among
    many others and we would have plenty of food set out so never any fighting between any of them. she would poke her head in the door once in awhile looking for our
    indoor cat but that was all and on her way she would go. the indoor cat we had many years ago was the smartest animal you could imagine, you could sit and have a
    conversation with him and he knew exactly what you were saying. we had him for nine years but quickly developed a respirtory problem and died one night but a few weeks
    later Squeak poked her head in the door like she usually did but then she just came right in and walked down the hallway and turned down another hall and went straight into
    the bedroom and sat on the spot that our cat died, you want to talk about being freaked out over that!!

unfortunately we are now having problems with Squeak as she isnt really eating much so we had her over to the vet the first of the week and he thought she was having a
    problem with stomach enzymes so we have her on a different eating schedule but it isnt working very good so im fearing the worst that we might have to put her to sleep.
    nothing we dread more then when one of our feline family members pass away.

i would love to be a millionaire or billionaire as i would be spending a lot of money building a giant feline rescue/care facility with a on-call Vet to perform free spay/neuters and
    various surgeries and also donating tons of money to various shelters all over the country. but all we can do now on our very limited budget is take one of the strays and get it
    spayed/neutered from time to time. its fairly cheap and i wish more people would do it with there pets as it takes care of so many problems but mostly calming a cat down,
    keeping them from spraying all the time and just generally better for their health!

i hope nobody DECLAWS their cats!! there is nothing more cruel then declawing a cat!
    please read the below info and check out the link before declawing

http://www.declawing.com/

Before you make the decision to declaw your cat, there are some important facts you should know. Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing.

Orange is Squeak
    Black is Peanut
    Tiger Stripe is Poobear RIP

153simc.jpg 209osp5.jpg

Got to pet new rescue for the first time yesterday. He is a beautiful cat. I have to find a home for him though, because last Saturday I spent 117 bucks on cat food.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Got to pet new rescue for the first time yesterday. He is a beautiful cat. I have to find a home for him though, because last Saturday I spent 117 bucks on cat food.
    This post reminded me of a sorta kitten rescue story from years ago. I found a kitten wandering alone where I was working. Picked it up, brought it home and gave it something to eat without a clue what I was gonna do with it. A friend saw it and adopted it. She was one of a group of girls living together and working in high end restaurants. I was living on the 5 B's -- Bread, Butter, Baloney, Beans and Beer. That cat was dining on Prime rib, Tenderloin and Lobster Thermidore!! What's wrong with this picture?

My wife and daughter finally got Frankie to the vet on Saturday. Yes, that's an eye infection which the vet said is common and caused by a virus. They gave us a bag of treats to give him that will build his immunity to the virus. They ran all the standard tests and the vet has proclaimed him a good healthy cat. The vet got a good laugh from my daughter's list of questions...."What CAN'T I use to make toys for him?..." He'll be getting fixed for Thanksgiving/Christmas. I was surprised--the vet recommended that we keep his food full at all times and let him eat whatever he wants. He said when he's an adult, IF he develops a weight problem we'll start controlling consumption then. That's the complete opposite of the advise he gave us on the dog--he has us control the dog's food to a fairly precise amount morning and night.

Sunday we picked up a cat condo scratching post thing and some catnip oil spray as recommended by the vet to attract him to the scratching post. The decision has been made that he'll be moving into the basement by the time school starts in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    This post reminded me of a sorta kitten rescue story from years ago. I found a kitten wandering alone where I was working. Picked it up, brought it home and gave it something to eat without a clue what I was gonna do with it. A friend saw it and adopted it. She was one of a group of girls living together and working in high end restaurants. I was living on the 5 B's -- Bread, Butter, Baloney, Beans and Beer. That cat was dining on Prime rib, Tenderloin and Lobster Thermidore!! What's wrong with this picture?

What's wrong with that?

That's simple, lack of planning on your part Curt!

You should have told the girls you were a package deal and you could have been adopted along with the cat..............LOL................Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    My wife and daughter finally got Frankie to the vet on Saturday. Yes, that's an eye infection which the vet said is common and caused by a virus. They gave us a bag of treats to give him that will build his immunity to the virus. They ran all the standard tests and the vet has proclaimed him a good healthy cat. The vet got a good laugh from my daughter's list of questions...."What CAN'T I use to make toys for him?..." He'll be getting fixed for Thanksgiving/Christmas. I was surprised--the vet recommended that we keep his food full at all times and let him eat whatever he wants. He said when he's an adult, IF he develops a weight problem we'll start controlling consumption then. That's the complete opposite of the advise he gave us on the dog--he has us control the dog's food to a fairly precise amount morning and night.

Sunday we picked up a cat condo scratching post thing and some catnip oil spray as recommended by the vet to attract him to the scratching post. The decision has been made that he'll be moving into the basement by the time school starts in a couple weeks.
    Thanks for the update Matt. Cats are nibblers, unlike dogs. I feed our cats wet food morning and evening (some days they eat it all, some days not) and dry food is out at all times. Getting them to drink water is the most difficult thing. My friend has two cats who are really overweight. They each get 1/3 cup of food morning and night. Play is the biggest difference between the weight of my cats, and ours. Our cat gets a lot of play time, hers don't.

In my experience the catnip spray isn't quite enough. You may want to try rubbing dried catnip onto/into the scratching post and sprinkling it on the base. Cats do understand "no" so if you catch Frankie scratching something he shouldn't, tell him no and remove him from the area. My black cat used to scratch my chair when I was reading and he thought I should be playing with him. Actually now he just puts his paws up on the arm to get my attention.

One thing I don't recall being mentioned, check out your houselplants for toxicity. If "cat grass" isn't available some cats will chew on houseplants.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

That won't be a problem--we can't keep plants alive in the house. Heck, we can barely keep them alive outside...

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Cats do understand "no" so if you catch Frankie scratching something he shouldn't, tell him no and remove him from the area. My black cat used to scratch my chair when I was reading and he thought I should be playing with him. Actually now he just puts his paws up on the arm to get my attention.
    If/when you catch Frankie scratching anywhere other than the post, pick him up and lower him at the scratch post, making sure he drags his paws on the post as you lower him. He'll figure it out pretty quickly.

And, as Belinda said, they do understand no. But their reaction is more like, "Drat, foiled again. I'll return you silly human!"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    And, as Belinda said, they do understand no. But their reaction is more like, "Drat, foiled again. I'll return you silly human!"
    Yep! I know full well that the cats dance on the countertops when I'm not around. When I get home from work they are sitting innocently waiting for me in the hallway . . . just under the upper bar at the end of the kitchen.

Bella Terra

I was going to send an email earlier to let you know that a certain percentage of cats aren't attracted to cat nip odor. But had to wait until my computer was unoccupied. My wife picked Snicker off the key board and put him on the floor, but he jumped up onto the key board again and proceeded to lay down on it. You see...that's where the action was, and he wasn't going to be far from it. OK, he won. After a while, he just went to sleep. My old cat of several years ago, Sara, paid no attention to cat nip, the spray, odor or whatever form in which it was sold. We bought various "cat nip" scented animal play toys and various other attractants guaranteed to get your cats attention, all to no avail. Feathers on a string or small fluffy balls tossed on the floor were about the only way to get her to play games. And at that only when she was young. But since she was a Tonkinese, you could play "talk" games with her back and forth for several minutes. I often thought if people saw me talking to my cat, I wondered what they would think.

IMG_0691.jpgIMG_0692.jpg