Thread: Hello all

Hello all

Hello to everyone. I just joined this forum looking for help with my Unisaw and then I saw the wood turning section. For years my Delta lathe sat in a corner gathering dust mostly because I couldn't or wouldn't sharpen my chisels. I finally decided to dust it off and try my hand at things. Well one thing led to another and I scrapped the old Delta for a new Rikon mini. Then I scraped my old chisels for a set of three Easy Wood mid size ones. Well I decided why not get some Easy Wood full size ones as well so I got a the rougher and the finisher. Now I wanted some nice handles for the mid size ones (they came without handles) but in order to do them I needed a drill chuck. I couldn't find my old one so back to the store and get a new one. Now I think I'm set at least for a while. Hopefully I'll learn a few tricks here and not loose interest again. I'm retired so I have all the time in the world to tinker and make saw dust.

Welcome to the spinny world, Art. Sounds like you are well on your way into the money-draining vortex that is woodturning. I would worry less about losing interested and worry more about having to go back to working to pay for tools! Looking forward to pictures of your turnings.

3. Art.........welcome to the Vortex! What type of sharpening set up do you have? That is a crucial thing to good success in turning...........the Wolverine setup by Oneway is the standard most turners have..........it will give you repeatable and quality sharpening with an 8" grinder.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Art, you will look back at this post in 6 months and have a good laugh. The scenario you just painted a picture of in nothing short of a small glimpse into a "turner's life". In a year or two (if not sooner), you will have upgraded the lathe at least once, and will be carrying around a 5 gallon bucket of "choice" tools like 95% of the bozos around here. I'm happy to say I'm a 5%er, but I don't know how long I can hold out...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Welcome, Art, you will enjoy this forum. Mike is correct, the Vortex is Strong but you can never have too many turning tools. I am a double Bozo, I have two 5 gallon buckets of turning tools.

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Welcome Art. I have the EWT tools but you will be wanting a spindle gouge and probably a bowl gouge before long.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Welcome Art. You might as well start putting money aside for the 'tool fund' because once you get going it's easy to justify another tool.

Welcome Art! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Art, make a few items and give them for gifts and such. You'll be able to tell wifey that you just saved lotsa' money by not having to buy gifts so "can I take a few bucks for some tools..." Then folks will start knocking on your door to have you make this and that, and soon you'll be selling occasional pieces. After that you'll be able to purchase some of your tool and upgrade purchases from a revolving fund as a result of your skyrocketing sales Or, at Christmas, birthday and anniversary dates put tools and consumables on your wish list. They're gonna' buy you something if they love ya, so hav'em get ya sumthin' you will use..... plus you will be outta their way in the shop, usually a big plus.

Good luck on your journey.

Thanks all for the hearty welcome. I know only too well the tool drain syndrome. This year alone well in the first 5 months I've bought a new Rikon band saw, a Dayton 8" grinder, a slow speed grinder the lathe and 5 Easy Wood chisels, various router accessories, dust collection system etc etc. Most of these are upgrades. I do try to justify my purchases by telling myself how much money I have saved by doing it myself.