Thread: What is this saw worth?

What is this saw worth?

Hi, I came across this New Old Stock Disston D-95 26" 8ppi Xcut saw, anyone have an idea what it might be worth?

IMG_1609 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_1615 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_1610 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_1612 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_1614 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr
    Last edited by Christian Castillo; 07-31-2012 at 1:44 PM.

Made in 1955 or later.

"The D-95 saw features a plastic handle, but is not cheap-looking. The handle was made from a material called Tenite, a product owned by Eastman, a company related to Kodak. Disston called the product Disstonite. The D-95 was manufactured from 1935 until the 1950's and was offered in three color combinations. It was switched to a wooden handle in 1955." http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d95page.html

Maybe not as desirable as pre WWII saws. Just guessing here.

given the Danville address on the box, I assume it's after HK Porter bought them in '56 and moved the company from Philadelphia. Given the logo, I'd assume it's even later than that.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

It even comes with a factory hang hole!

And I always thought it was some craftsman who did it to peeve off the person whose hands the saw would fall into.

Joshua Pierce wrote, "given the Danville address on the box, I assume it's after HK Porter bought them in '56 and moved the company from Philadelphia. Given the logo, I'd assume it's even later than that."

i think he's just about right but I'd guess the saw may be even more recently made than the 50's. I sold a used one not long ago and didn't get much for it although it was a perfectly good user in very clean condition. I have no idea what a totally unused one would bring but most people want Disston saws that were made when the Disston family still had ownership in the company.