Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinets or Tile install first?

Cabinets or Tile install first?

Hi everyone, I'll be installing ceramic tile over a concrete slab in our kitchen during the impending remodel. Should I install the ceramic first then base cabinets on top of that, or cabinets first then tile up to and around the base cabinets. I'll most likely be using adjustable leg levelers on the base cabs if that makes a difference in your opinion. I'd like to hear both sides of this story and reasons why. I can see pros and cons to either method.

Thanks!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey Scott View Post
    Hi everyone, I'll be installing ceramic tile over a concrete slab in our kitchen during the impending remodel. Should I install the ceramic first then base cabinets on top of that, or cabinets first then tile up to and around the base cabinets. I'll most likely be using adjustable leg levelers on the base cabs if that makes a difference in your opinion. I'd like to hear both sides of this story and reasons why. I can see pros and cons to either method.

Thanks!
    The tile guy will always want to install the tile first...fewer precision cuts required. The cabinet guys will often want to install the cabs first....they don't have to worry about soiling freshly laid tile/grout.

Assuming you're doing both yourself, it may make sense to set the tile first, particularly since you're using leg levelers vs shims or pre-built bases.

Some will argue that tiling first makes sense in the event you should change your cabinet footprint in the future without replacing the tile.

If you do end up setting the cabs first then you'll need to consider the edge tile when designing your kick plates....you want to make sure the edge tile is covered and hidden from view when the kick plates are in place.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

+1 for everything Scott says, 'cept the last line. Not sure what he means. It's WAY easier to tile with the room empty. Esp. when there is an island involved. The added cost of the extra tile is insignificant vs. the extra labor to cut & fit around everything.

i agree with scott. do the tile first then the cabinets. this how my house was done flooring then cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    +1 for everything Scott says, 'cept the last line. Not sure what he means. It's WAY easier to tile with the room empty. Esp. when there is an island involved. The added cost of the extra tile is insignificant vs. the extra labor to cut & fit around everything.
    If you set the cabs first then you'll end up with edge tile all around the perimeter of the cabs....the cut to fit pieces. What I was saying is that you need to think ahead to make sure your toe kick plates cover the cut tile edges that face up to the cab fronts/ends. Common sense stuff but one of those things that if you forget, you're screwed. Hope this clarifies it
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Tile is easier to do the entire floor, with hardwood the difference is very small. With ceramic the cost is also low for the extra tile. So for ceramic tile I would do the entire floor then set the cabinets.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

There are a few things to think about...What tile are you using? Is it flat or a hand made tile that are not flat. Do you want debris going under the cabinet where the cabinet meets the tile. If you install the cabinet on top that's something you have to worry about unless you calk against the tile. If you set the cabinet first you don't have to worry about debris going under it. If the person doing the tile knows what he's doing there should be no problem cutting the tile against the cabinet leaving a grout line space around the cabinet.....Yes it's easier doing the whole floor first but I think it looks better installing the tile around instead of under the cabinet. I've tiled plenty of floors & I'd rather tile around the cabinets....It's a more professional looking job.....Just my .02

Tiling first is sooooo much easier and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post
    Tiling first is sooooo much easier and faster.
    Except now 20 years later my wife wants to rip out the tile that I installed before therefore under the cabinets.
    Thank You
    Ed

I did he cabinets first then the tile. I just figured I would replace the tile floor before I ever replace the cabinets. Then again, it probably wouldn't matter as long as the tile grout line ended just before a cabinet. In case you ever want to replace the tile, you wouldn't have to undo your floor cabinets

I always prefer the floor be done before the cabinets....and I'm the cabinet guy I have cardboard and rosen paper to protect floors so soiling isn't an issue. My favorite is when you try to remove a dishwasher or stove that was installed directly on the subfloor with the hardwood flooring running right up to the front of it Yup that's a bunch of fun.

Anyway it's personal preference but I'd do the floor first every time.

good luck,
    JeffD

Blog Entries
    Tile first. It's easier, it makes the installation of appliances easier. You can even out an uneven floor a bit with the tile making cabinet installation easier. It will also make the counter top the right height above the floor.

Unless the tile is highly contoured any dust that gets under the cabinets won't bee seen until the cabinets are removed years from now, no caulking is needed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Set the cabinets first. Much easier to anchor islands and peninsulas to the subfloor without the tile there. Fewer square feet of tile to install as well.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I'm leaning towards putting in the floor first at this point. I see several good reasons to. The only reason I can see not to is the extra expense, but I don't think that will be a big problem. If you have an opinion, please chime in!

Thanks!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hazel View Post
    Except now 20 years later my wife wants to rip out the tile that I installed before therefore under the cabinets.
    If ever there was a number 1 reason to tile after installing the cabinets this would be it.

Tiling afterwards also gives you the option of shifting the grid around after the cabinets go in which would allow you to minimize the odd looking skinny tiles that could end up against the toe area.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 08-01-2012 at 10:37 AM.