Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie, making a bunch of flooring

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Phil, that would not be a good idea. The wood will pick up moisture from the relative humidity, and then shrink after it is installed - leaving gaps between the boards.

Personally, for flooring I would joint and plane on the same day, and do the best that I could to remove the same amount of material from both sides of the board. it will be sanded after installation, so any minor movement will be addressed then.
    1+ for doing it all @ once making sure you plane both sides as close as possible. I didn't sticker the wood after it was planed I just stacked it. I did take a chance on the movement but I followed Scotts advise and everything worked out ok.

Quote Originally Posted by bill tindall View Post
    There is no way
    Sure there are plenty of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Why a router? Because the stock will be flat on the table and easy to present to the cutters, just like with the shaper. On your TS the stock will be on edge which makes it a lot harder to support. I think you would also fiind setup to be easier on either the shaper or router compared to a TS. However you decide to do the T&G truly flat stock of constant thickness and no crook is the key to success.

If the installer is going to sand it after installation then you don't need to do anything after the planer. But I don't think this is common practice with a new floor, so I recommend you find out what the installers expectations are for the material. If his expectation is product ready to finish then you will have to figure out how to add that process to the list of machining operations. A drum sander would be the weapon of choice.

John
    I do have a wide belt sander at my disposal.
    sounds like it may be good practice to make a final pass thru it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    What may be the biggest advantage of the shaper, (or even a router table), is you can easily set up so your taking off the profile plus a little....say 1/32". This is important so that you have a perfect and clean edge for your boards. Running over the tablesaw doesn't allow you to do this easily and may not give quite as clean a cut?

The second advantage is that you can do a finish profile and size the stock simultaneously. This makes your work cleaner and much faster.

Also as another poster mentioned make sure you have flooring tongue and groove cutters and not the glue joint style. If you use the wrong cutters your client is not going to be a happy camper

I think you can do this job on a table saw, though it is an awkward setup that is going to require a lot of additional steps and time to setup. That being said you have to use what you have, and since your not trying to support yourself with it.....go for it

good luck,
    JeffD
    Using a dial gauge, I can easily raise The magic molder 1/1000" to remove exactly what I want. The finish is perfect.

I understand I cn profile and size the stock at the same time on a shaper, but can I on a router?

Quote Originally Posted by bill tindall View Post
    There is no way that you will make flooring to the precision that it needs to be made with your equipment, to say nothing about how slow it will be relative to someone making flooring with a molding machine. If you want to convert your lumber, presuming it is KD to the proper specifications, take it to a shop with a molding machine where it can be converted cheaply, precisely and quickly.

Should you proceed in spite of the above advice have an experienced floor installer try some of your product before you convert too many bdft to this project.
    We will see....
    and I think you mean "shaper" not molder. Not trying to be flippant.....just learning.

No Phil, he meant molder. Most flooring made commercially is done on a 5 head through molder. Some have more heads too. That's essentially a jointer, planer, mollding head and two shapers in one large machine that all reference off a central table. You shove in a blank that is over sized in each dimension and out comes a floor board, or what ever molding you have set up for at the time. Yes, you get a smooth face, reliefs, precise tongue and groove, all at around 40LF/ minute. That's who you are competing against. Ever heard the story of John Hennery?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Sure there are plenty of ways.
    Indeed. The flooring in my parent's house was made with hand tools. Still there after 275 years. Still looks good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Landwer View Post
    Using a dial gauge, I can easily raise The magic molder 1/1000" to remove exactly what I want. The finish is perfect.

I understand I cn profile and size the stock at the same time on a shaper, but can I on a router?
    What kind of tablesaw are you running that your confident in keeping to .001? FWIW that's hard to maintain on high end industrial equipment! The good news is with flooring, (real flooring cutters that is), there's a fair amount of fudge factor so you don't need to maintain .001

Yes you can make the same type of cuts with a router table depending on what cutters you have. You basically remove any bearing and run so that you remove....say 1/32" or so with the profile.

Yes as Peter said flooring is run through molders. It would blow your mind if you saw how quickly flooring flies through a molder. What your going to do in at least 4 steps and likely several more, will all be done in one pass through a molder. I truly believe there is no money to be made competing with flooring manufacturers. However in your case where profit is not the concern....you can certainly get it done

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    No Phil, he meant molder. Most flooring made commercially is done on a 5 head through molder. Some have more heads too. That's essentially a jointer, planer, mollding head and two shapers in one large machine that all reference off a central table. You shove in a blank that is over sized in each dimension and out comes a floor board, or what ever molding you have set up for at the time. Yes, you get a smooth face, reliefs, precise tongue and groove, all at around 40LF/ minute. That's who you are competing against. Ever heard the story of John Hennery?
    So, I'm competing with folks that have to pay off a 6 figure machine, as well as pay for a place to house it, and upkeep it.
    i have no problem competing against that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    What kind of tablesaw are you running that your confident in keeping to .001? FWIW that's hard to maintain on high end industrial equipment! The good news is with flooring, (real flooring cutters that is), there's a fair amount of fudge factor so you don't need to maintain .001

Yes you can make the same type of cuts with a router table depending on what cutters you have. You basically remove any bearing and run so that you remove....say 1/32" or so with the profile.

Yes as Peter said flooring is run through molders. It would blow your mind if you saw how quickly flooring flies through a molder. What your going to do in at least 4 steps and likely several more, will all be done in one pass through a molder. I truly believe there is no money to be made competing with flooring manufacturers. However in your case where profit is not the concern....you can certainly get it done

good luck,
    JeffD
    The question of profitability, seems to all depend on my labor rate.
    and my helpers are dirt cheap in this economy.
    are flooring mfg's making 5,6, and 7" wide planks?

The question of profitability, seems to all depend on my labor rate.
    and my helpers are dirt cheap in this economy.
    are flooring mfg's making 5,6, and 7" wide planks?

Yeah, they make small stuff like that, and they make big stuff too. The place I work, 5" is about the narrowest floor they run. Lots of huge outfits make strip floor in the 2-3" range. Can't compete with them on price, all out floors are hand selected and made by guys that know wood and can read it blind folded for color etc. This let's clients spec things they couldn't spec otherwise.

My boss started out in a walkout basement with basic machinery making high end floor for selective customers. So I won't tell You you can't or even shouldn't do it. You can make it go if driven. But don't be confused, the guy with the molder has paid for it one hundred times over, and he owns the building itts housed in. Now he is able to give a guaranteed delivery date with short lead times, offer a very wide variety of sizes and species, replace failures quickly. There is an economy of scale involved in this sort of enterprise, a certain minimum size for efficiency. And these days your competiting against the Chinese too, and they sort of have the edge on "cheap labor". I'm not even guessing here. I admire your sense of competition, but try to remember, John Henry beat the machine, then died. The machine went back to work the next day.

Make sure to charge a fair price and pay your self a decent wage. Don't give your product away to entice buyers, that is more of a drug dealer business model, but that's a different product with different rules. You may well be the emergent player in your local market which is a great way to get started. Round me? There are probably 1/2 dozen small custom manufacturers doing this, and they are all very good at it.

Well - if we are talking about launching a business on woodworking - its a pretty lengthy discussion. I keep seeing shop after shop that is liquidating equipment (at least in my area), and it doesnt seem a very good time to try to break into the business.

But as with most businesses, all you need is one customer to get 'started'. That doesnt mean it scales, nor does it mean its sustainable, nor repeatable to get the next customer (or 10th or 100th)

It seems to me that Phil just wants to do it and give it a try. Asking questions, collecting info. We will see how it plays outs (it will be educational to learn Phil, because others here have tried and please do let us know the outcome because some of the others failed but then never came back to post an update). Learning what/how a business fails is much more valuable than speculating on all the ways it might work.

So, I'm competing with folks that have to pay off a 6 figure machine, as well as pay for a place to house it, and upkeep it.
    i have no problem competing against that.....
    Peter made the point already....but look at it like this....do you think you could start a business selling hamburgers out of your house with no overhead at all, and compete against McDonalds with all their overhead and selling them for 99 cents? No way....it's economy of scale Same as me trying to build a cabinet for less than Ikea....sure they have huge overhead, a sales force, big stores, etc etc.....but they still sell a box for less than I can buy the materials for!!!

So an average size molding company has a minimum of several hundred thousand invested in equipment. They have labor and benefit costs, and much higher overhead. They also buy material for much less than you can, and run it through the plant at a rate they only need to make a minuscule amount of money per foot. This topic comes up every so often on professional forums with guys who want to get into the molding business and I've thought about it a lot. I can buy material at wholesale and work for free and still not compete against the local molding houses

Now if you want to offer a truly custom service for a premium price you may be able to make something work! For instance, I'll make up short runs of molding for contractors who might need 20' or 200' to match an existing profile. I can also offer curved or radiused moldings. Basically small jobs which can be more expensive for the bigger companies as they prefer bigger quantities. Flooring though....now way, I couldn't touch the stuff for what I can buy it for.

Again, not trying to discourage you from running flooring just to run it for yourself or a friend. Just trying to convey that as a possible new business venture it's going to be tougher than you seem to believe. Best thing is to go ahead with this project and keep good track of everything....time, cost of materials, cost of tooling etc and see how you make out. At least that way you'll have a better idea of what's it's going to take for a small batch of flooring. Carl also made a good point, let us know how you make out. There's a tendancy for guys to not want to post their results. I think it would be very valuable to others with the same idea though. As opposed to just accepting the conventional wisdom they could read about others experience with trying it out

good luck,
    JeffD