Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switched to Keurig Coffee Makers at Work

Blog Entries

Switched to Keurig Coffee Makers at Work

At my work they changed the coffee makers from the large Bunn machines to Keurig.

Have to try to time it to get my coffee when there isnt a line for the machine. Have to wait about a minute for the cup to brew but something to be said for always leaving the galley with a cup thats just seconds old.

No plan to switch what we do at home but I'm begining to see why people use them. Always fresh, probably 0 waste. No idea what the cost might be compared to what we use at home. Guessing it would be more.

PHM

Hi Paul, at work it was far less expensive than pouring an almost full carafe of coffee down the drain, and the coffee is always fresh. We are a 24/7 operation with only a few people per shift.

I drink tea, and it makes awful tea so we still have a kettle.

It's about 40 cents per cup if I remember correctly............Regards, Rod.

It's a lot more (at home). 50-60 cents a cup from what I've seen, though you can always go swiss with things and try to find it on clearance. Our work cost with regular bunn machines is about 20 cents per cup, though as you say, we have spoilage on the last pots.

We had a flavia machine where I worked previously and it was great at first, but somehow, the flavor wore on a lot of us (it wasn't quite right compared to good drip coffee).

The best compromise I've seen is a bunn type machine with an air pot. Then, the coffee never gets smoked, and it always tastes fresh and hot. It also seems to have better flavor than the instantaneous machines.

David you can do a lot better than 50-60 cents by buying online or at Costco. Or I've even stocked up at Kohls when they were on sale and we had a coupon for an extra % off everything. Buying K-Cups at the grocery or big box store is by far the most expensive way to go.

Blog Entries
    We have it pretty good at home. We use a Bunn and most of the time only brew 1/2 pot. A Bunn can do that in about 2 minutes. This makes enough coffee for my wife and I to have a pretty big cup each and if we want more then we brew another 1/2 pot. The coffee we use is one of the Costco brands, ground at the store.

PHM

Really like ours. Received it as gift in March or April. Like making one cup as needed and wife uses it for tea(so far no complaints). Bad thing is that it stopped working Friday. Did the trouble shooting-no change. Called Keurig, they asked if I did that-yes, how about that-yes. OK no problem, we send one out to you at no charge. All you need to do is send back the little insert where the coffee packet sits.
    Waiting on Fedex for todays delivery.

My only complaint is the huge waste of plastic in all those disposable cups. I am aware that there are "refillable" cups that will take ground coffeee, but how many people use those? No one I know that has one of those machines.

Last time I did the numbers, the cost per cup was 2-3 times more expensive. I'll stick with my Bunn.

I thought the Keurig was OK for work as far as taste but it does generate a lot of trash.

At home we use an old Corning Ware percolator to make eight cups tha fit into four mugs. I can think of any coffee I can make at home that beats the perc'd kind.

Excelsior

Blog Entries
    When I first saw these things I thought "what a racket". I must confess that I am a convert. We fund our own at work in my little group. About 40 cents a cup if you hit Costco or Sam's with a coupon. With the 6 of us only, the wait for coffee is seldom an issue. The mess is near zero which is what we were really after. Our drip makers were always scattered with grounds and drips. Like I said, I scoffed but, have found it to be viable for us at work.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Don't know about Keurig but Nespresso, which if you like expresso or cappuccino makes good coffee, recycles the capsules if you drop them off. I assume the aluminum is recycled.

Unfortunately, no. From the Keurig web site.

Question
    Are K-Cup® packs Recyclable?

Answer
    The challenge of protecting the freshness of roasted coffee while using environmentally friendly packaging is one that both Keurig and the coffee industry are committed to overcoming. We are very sensitive about the waste created by the K-Cup® packs and are investigating alternative materials. Finding a solution for this is a priority for us, and one we hope to have before long.

I don't use them, but I have family members and friends that do use them. Of probably 10 people I know that have had them, 8 or so of them have had to throw them away. I took 2 on as projects to try and fix them, and they are made to discourage anyone from even trying. I can't recall ever seeing a product with such a high failure rate among people I know. They all seem to make it through the warranty period fine and then they quit shortly after that.

I suppose if you look at them as disposable, you'd be fine, but buyer beware, they have a lot of problems. Search the internet and you'll find more sites than you can count with people having the same issues I'm talking about.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I don't use them, but I have family members and friends that do use them. Of probably 10 people I know that have had them, 8 or so of them have had to throw them away. I took 2 on as projects to try and fix them, and they are made to discourage anyone from even trying. I can't recall ever seeing a product with such a high failure rate among people I know. They all seem to make it through the warranty period fine and then they quit shortly after that.

I suppose if you look at them as disposable, you'd be fine, but buyer beware, they have a lot of problems. Search the internet and you'll find more sites than you can count with people having the same issues I'm talking about.
    I have to agree, got one as a gift, 2 years later had to throw it away. Luckily, tucked away in a cabinet we had a Mr. Coffee we got as a wedding present - it's so old it says "Made in USA" on the bottom! Works fine, and I figured out how to make sure there is no wasted coffee sitting in the pot.

You can buy the "My K cup", which is a reusable one for less than $18 (less at some stores). This allows you to use your own brand, flavors, etc of your coffee. Just dump out the grinds, rinse and your ready to go again. I use this for my specialty coffees. As others mentioned it great to have a freshly brewed cup every time.
    Rudy

45-WATT Epilog Mini-24, CorelDraw X6,
    Wacom Intuos Tablet, Flame Polisher
    George Knight DC16 Heat Press
    BJ890 Muli-Function Mug Press
    Ricoh GX e3300n printer
    Vacc-U-Press VP3030