Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poplar Night Stands

Poplar Night Stands

I built two night stands for my married daughter. She wanted to have them painted so I built them out of Poplar. After she saw the completed project she changed her mind and asked that I finish them with a stain or dye and then varnish. Had I known that at the beginning I would have chosen a different wood to build them out of. In any event I did some research and testing and settled on an Aniline dye and a wipe on varnish. This seemed to give the least amount of blotching.

Well to make a long story short, I did not like the blotchiness of the bottom but the top seemed to come out fairly well. I went ahead and sealed the dye with Shellac and then called my daughter and explained my dilema. Actually it was worse than that as I hated the blotching and so we settled on a painted bottom and a finished top. She chose an ivory color.

Here is my project:

There are 58 mortise and tennon joints in this project, some of which I cut by hand just to keep my skills up. I did learn one thing in building this project and that is never to choose a dark stain when building a project with poplar.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Those are very nice looking night stands and I bet someone is very happy with them. Now, I would expect and request for some more nice furniture.

Gordon, excellent execution. I finished a poplar blanket chest with Gereral Finishes WB dye. I used charles Neil's bloth control and the piece looks like cherry.

Those are sweet!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Those are very nice looking night stands and I bet someone is very happy with them. Now, I would expect and request for some more nice furniture.
    I have a large family and more requests than I can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    Gordon, excellent execution. I finished a poplar blanket chest with Gereral Finishes WB dye. I used charles Neil's bloth control and the piece looks like cherry.
    I have heard good things about Charles Neill's blotch control but did not have time to wait for the shipping. I do plan to get some. Thanks for the compliment Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Those are sweet!
    Thanks Sam.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Nice work on the night stands Gordon.And even with a little mission flair. Right up my alley....I bet your daughter is real happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Nice work on the night stands Gordon.And even with a little mission flair. Right up my alley....I bet your daughter is real happy with them.
    Well I will find out tomorrow night as she is coming by the house. Thanks for your nice comment.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Those are marvelous. I see a nautical craftsman style in them. Love the 'bright' tops with the painted structure. And wow on the number of MT joints! Thanks for sharing.

I don't know which one is nicer, the workmanship or the finish! Nice job!!

Those came out very nice, Gordon. I like the paint/natural combination.
    What brand of dye did you use? What color. Do you have a photo of the top from above? How about one showing the base dyed before the paint? As I mentioned before, I am building a bookcase from poplar and have been reading what others on SMC have used for dye.
    Thanks, Paul

Blog Entries
    The paint and dye combo came out great. I have read many folks say that poplar takes colors well but, this has not been my experience. Your material has much less grey/green than the stuff I get out here and that would certainly help. The color you got for the top offset by the ivory is just perfect IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

They look outstanding. Thankfully the stain worked out on top, right? The combination of stained/painted is fantastic, probably better than all stain, or all painted, I think (just my personal opinion).

Do you have any pictures of the bottom stain with blotches? Just kind of wondering what to expect. I've heard of others staining poplar, but kind of hit or miss.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! And again, great job.

Nice save !
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Camillo View Post
    Those are marvelous. I see a nautical craftsman style in them. Love the 'bright' tops with the painted structure. And wow on the number of MT joints! Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Jack, the project was more time consuming that I had anticipated when I started out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rogers View Post
    I don't know which one is nicer, the workmanship or the finish! Nice job!!
    Thanks Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Those came out very nice, Gordon. I like the paint/natural combination.
    What brand of dye did you use? What color. Do you have a photo of the top from above? How about one showing the base dyed before the paint? As I mentioned before, I am building a bookcase from poplar and have been reading what others on SMC have used for dye.
    Thanks, Paul
    Hi Paul, I am glad that you saw this thread. The legs on the project were particularly bad and I did not like the look at all. The only picture I have of the bottom stained is a cell phone image. I will take on of the top with my camera later today and post it to this thread. If I were you I would look into Charles Neill blotch control. I just didn't have the time to wait for the shipping or I would have used that myself. Good luck on your bookcase.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The paint and dye combo came out great. I have read many folks say that poplar takes colors well but, this has not been my experience. Your material has much less grey/green than the stuff I get out here and that would certainly help. The color you got for the top offset by the ivory is just perfect IMHO.
    I hear you Glenn, I was really dissappointed with the way the Poplar blotched up on me. I had carefully picked out the boards to avoid as much green as I could; however, that was not possible for the legs since I was able to pick up an 8/4 x 12" x 7' piece for $5.00. It was left over from a large order at the lumber yard and they made me a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    They look outstanding. Thankfully the stain worked out on top, right? The combination of stained/painted is fantastic, probably better than all stain, or all painted, I think (just my personal opinion).

Do you have any pictures of the bottom stain with blotches? Just kind of wondering what to expect. I've heard of others staining poplar, but kind of hit or miss.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! And again, great job.
    Hi Phil, see above for the answer to your reqest for a picture of the stained bottom. Thanks for your nice comments on my project.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    Nice save !
    Thanks Mark, appreciate it.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Looking good! I misread the title of the OP as "Popular Night Stands." As I read, I kept waiting to hear about their popularity, even though you started talking about Poplar almost immediately. Duh ....

I bet they will be popular!