Thread: Woodturning gallery Asheville NC or Gatlinburg Tn

Woodturning gallery Asheville NC or Gatlinburg Tn

My wife and I are traveling through the Gatlinburg Tn. and Asheville NC area next week. As a newbie woodturner I would like to visit some galleries which exhibit woodturning pieces. I am familiar with the Arrowmont in Gatlinburg. Do they have a gallery? I know Asheville NC is known for their art. Are there any galleries that exhibit woodturning art?
    Thanks.

I'm not that familiar with the many galleries in downtown Asheville, but I have been to the Folk Art Center, right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. It had a quite a few wood turned items there when I was there last and I'd expect that to be the case now.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Look up the Grove Wood Gallery at the Grove Wood Inn it's up on the north end of town I think.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

We have many galleries here in Asheville. Grovewood will knock your socks off, a must see. At the Folk Art Center we have several different woodturners with work on display. I'm not sure of the demo schedule next week, but there is a chance that one of our woodturners will be there in the lobby.

New Morning Gallery is another top gallery, been a while since I've been in there, but I would assume the have some high end turnings.

Check out Handmade in America web site. They have a listing of local artist, many of them have open studio hours.

Of course you could take a side trip over to John C Campbell Folk School and visit their top notch teaching studio.

I could go on and on, but that's a start.

Perry

Oh Yeah, the largest turning club in the US meets at the Folk Art Center on the 3rd Saturday of each month.
    Last edited by Perry Holbrook; 08-03-2012 at 8:46 PM.

My wife and I visited the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway outside of Ashville in March and there was an AAW woodturning exhibit on the second floor. I'm not sure if the exhibit is still running.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    My wife and I visited the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway outside of Ashville in March and there was an AAW woodturning exhibit on the second floor. I'm not sure if the exhibit is still running.
    Nope, that one is gone. I'm over at the Folk Art Center about once a week right now for committee meetings, we have the works from the students of a local arts college on display in the main gallery right now.

Perry

+1 on the folk art center. Not sure what's there now, but the quality and variety of artwork in numerous mediums will knock your socks off!

We were in Asheville this weekend and went to the Craft Fair in Biltmore Village. Talked to Steve Noggle, who had some beautiful turnings. He recommended New Morning Gallery. It's in Biltmore Village and is a must see for the variety of outstanding work, including turnings. I've paid to get into places that weren't nearly as impressive as what's in New Morning.

He also recommended the (I think the name is correct) Blue Spiral Gallery, it's downtown across from the Mast General Store. We didn't go downtown after the Craft Fair so can't confirm. His turnings are also displayed in a co-op gallery next door to the Mast General Store.

The Folk Art Center has Wood Day planned for next Saturday, 8/11 10 - 4. There will be turning demos. We plan to go back for that event.

Not too far from Ashville on interstate 26, there is a rest stop that features turnings from a local guy, I can't remember his name, but he had at least 20 items there the last time I stopped. All items were gallery quality. I didn't stop last year because I took 75 south to Florida, but it was there for at least 3 years before that.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hensley View Post
    We were in Asheville this weekend and went to the Craft Fair in Biltmore Village. Talked to Steve Noggle, who had some beautiful turnings. He recommended New Morning Gallery. It's in Biltmore Village and is a must see for the variety of outstanding work, including turnings. I've paid to get into places that weren't nearly as impressive as what's in New Morning.

He also recommended the (I think the name is correct) Blue Spiral Gallery, it's downtown across from the Mast General Store. We didn't go downtown after the Craft Fair so can't confirm. His turnings are also displayed in a co-op gallery next door to the Mast General Store.

The Folk Art Center has Wood Day planned for next Saturday, 8/11 10 - 4. There will be turning demos. We plan to go back for that event.
    Steve does good work and prices his work correctly. New Morning and Blue Spiral are owned by the same guy and are top notch, although I still prefer Grovewood Gallery. Blue Spiral is more of a true high end art gallery, where the others are more fine craft galleries. New Morning and Grovewood have both been voted the best fine craft gallery in the country so many times they are no longer eligable to receive votes.

Perry

Arrowmont has a gallery, with some nice work on display, in Galinburg. There are a number of craftsmen and women with turned items in shops in the vicinity as well.

Perry thanks for the feedback. We plan to go back more often now that we are getting more familiar with the city. I've been through there so many times but never stayed long enough to visit downtown and the galleries. The art scene is just outstanding in the area.

If you have any other suggestions for galleries and places to eat, etc. let me know.

The downside is the hotel pricing, tough to find a decent price for an overnighter.

Bill, thanks for the reminder on Wood Day at the Folk Art Center. I usually drop by for that. Plus I need to deliver an order of my work before that crowd is there.

There are many galleries downtown of all kinds of work, Arial Gallery is mainly members of the Southern Highland Guild, Woolworth Walk is an area where you rent a small area and do your own display, they sell the work and take a cut. There use too be some good work there, probably still is.

The down town scene is not my thing but there are many good resturants.

If you would like to drop by my studio on one of your visits, feel free to ask. I'm one exit past the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Perry

My wife and I just returned yesterday from a week in North Carolina and Tennessee. We toured Arrowmont in Gatlinburg before crossing the Smoky's on our way to Asheville. Asheville is a beautiful city sitting in the mountains and is blessed with an unbelievable number of high end art galleries! We visited Greenwood Galleries, the New Morning Gallery in Biltmore Village, the Blue Spiral Gallery downtown, and the Folk Art Center. Talked to a fine artist who had just set up in the entrance for the Wood Day which was held last Saturday. Unfortunately we had to leave Asheville on Thursday so we missed it. He was hand cutting tenons for his wood boxes. I learned a lot about woods and chisels just talking to him for 20 minutes. We saw many high end woodturnings which provide inspiration. On Wednesday we toured the Biltmore Estate which was very interesting. Will definitely be going back sometime to explore the city further.
    Thanks to all of you who helped guide us in the right direction!

I saw this thread to late to help, but they sure did a great job of covering it. There are several more but the major ones were mentioned.

Dave