Thread: Just what I needed?

Question Just what I needed?

A little box showed up today. NOT from the BIG GUYS, like LN, or even LV. Not my "style". This one is a Dunlap Low angle Block Plane..SDC13013.jpgSDC13014.jpgNeeds some TLC, not too much though. Just the usual clean-up routine. Iron will need the most work, although it does give decent shavings right now. Not much to it..SDC13016.jpg Iron has a "DUNLAP" "APPROVED" "BL" stamp on it. I do have a couple Craftsman planes, with that same "BL" stamp. Who or what was "BL"? Under the iron area, there are a few more numbers: -217-16-, with a 3 below that. Under the cap: a "306" and a 307. Two numbers on the cap? lots of stamps, but not much info.. About $16 to get this little treasure. Should be a fun restore, though.

Sargent made for Sears

Getting it cleaned and sharpened a bit. it has a BL stamped into the right side of the base. Gave it a test drive on some Poplar edge grain.SDC13018.jpgSDC13019.jpg Yep, a work in progress. Maybe this weekend, I can get my honing tools in from the shop. $16 plane. Not too bad? And, yes, I will work on the knob, later. maybe a re-finish, maybe just a new one, undecided right now.

Now completed. Cleaned all the bare metal up, nice and shiny. Chucked the knob in the drill, and spun sanded it smooth. Then a little wax to shine it back up with, as well as the bare metal parts.SDC13022.jpgSDC13023.jpg$16 plane, ready for work.

Blog Entries
    looks like a nice user ! these old planes always make me wonder how good the blade is, I have a cheap Stanley and it convinced me to only buy top quality - mostly because of the blade; it's thin and doesn’t hold an edge long enough. how is this one?

Seems to do just fine. Still have to hone the edge, but right now will make some nice thin shaving. This one apparently was made by Sargent Tool Co. and sold by Sears & Roebuck as a Dunlap. maybe the newer stanley irons were thin, most of the ones I have are nice and thick. One is even Tapered!

Blog Entries
    I guess once they were made with care. today it's obviously rough machine and sell. there is something so appealing about these oldies. I think I'd rather have a good oldie than a new LN.