Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Mystery Tool

A Mystery Tool

It's been a while since we had a good mystery tool. I picked this one up today as part of a package deal at a garage sale. The other tools that sat next to this were molding planes (that's what I was really after), two Stanley traditional planes, and a cobbler's hammer.

I looked through my American Dictionary of Hand Tools and couldn't find a match.

It is not particularly sharp and is heavier than it looks. The handle end is weighted, like it is full of lead or something. No moving parts. Total length is about 7 inches.

What do you think? A cobbler's tool? Something to stretch fabric? Any ideas at all?
    Attached Images Attached Images

upholstery tool , tack puller are built in

is it mark United States Marine Corp.

Ray,

I can't tell if that is suppose to be USMC or if there is some bizarre character between the S & C. A search of USMC and cobbler on e-bay reveals a couple of hammers with this mark. So, I guess the question is, how would a cobbler use this?

United Shoe Machinery Corporation
    Thats all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wyatt View Post
    Ray,

I can't tell if that is suppose to be USMC or if there is some bizarre character between the S & C. A search of USMC and cobbler on e-bay reveals a couple of hammers with this mark. So, I guess the question is, how would a cobbler use this?
    the teeth on the edge may be a guide to set the distance of the thread, and the V notch may be to pull nails

It is a tool used to strip dogs of their excess hair - -Airedales specifically. Got one more if you need two. Phil
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Duffy View Post
    It is a tool used to strip dogs of their excess hair - -Airedales specifically. Got one more if you need two. Phil
    What do you do to the poor dog with that checkered, weighted handle?

You tenderize his steak of course, he's such a good dog.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

A site http://www.addoway.com/viewad/four-v...ft-usmc-238072 says vintage leather working tool. Is grouped with other leather working tools, so may be true.

the only tool that I found that resemble that is a pricker tool, the edge points are are place against the leather and the tool back are stuck with a mallet to mark the leather for a hole to sew it together

You really can't draw conclusions from any Ebay type ad. The handles do look quite similar,though. With the serrated,heavy handle tip,it does seem like something to use on leather.

I'll give it a try tonight when I get home from work. I have a cobbler's hammer and a piece of leather so I'll document what happens when I pound on the leather. Should be educational and stress relieving at the same time.

Sure looks like one of these - Tack Puller and Staple Remover:

http://springfieldleather.com/24814/...C3-4%22%2C10p/

Tack and Staple Puller
    Product ID: O121
    Category: Staple Pullers & Tack Pullers
    Description: This tack and staple remover is constructed with the same honest craftsmanship that goes into all tools. Can also be used for grooving out drawers, so that when reglued they will stick. Made of forged steel.

http://www.ansaldi.com/Catalog/Searc...&CategoryId=31

Same Look - "grooving out drawers" struck me.