Thread: HVLP Super Flexible Whip Hose--why didn't I do this sooner???

HVLP Super Flexible Whip Hose--why didn't I do this sooner???

I recently needed to replace my HVLP hose which had gotten brittle and started cracking. I decided to try one from an Ebay seller prosourcecontractorsupply. While I was at it, I decided to try one of the super-flexible hoses designed to go between the gun and regular hose.

I don't know why I didn't get one of these before!

Its so might lighter to hold and doesn't pull on the gun like the other hose. I'm sure it will be less durable if stepped on, but its about the perfect extra length for me. The coupling lays on the ground and any slack is taken up by my left hand while the right hand operates the gun.

The regular hose I bought from them seems nice too. The first 5' are extra heavy construction for heat resistance. There's a joint that is covered with heat shrink tubing, then the regular hose. The heat resistant part is Goodyear--don't recall markings on the rest. Couplings are nicely crimped stamped brass fittings.

While I was at it, I bought a high-flow garden hose shutoff valve at the local Do It Best and installed it between the super-flex hose and the quick coupler for the gun. Now I can shut off the air supply before disconnecting the gun without having to walk over to shut down the turbine. Blatantly stolen idea from Fuji but a nice $8 upgrade.

Between the new gun and the new supply line, its like a whole new system.

Thanks for the tip!
    Rasslin' those hoses is not much fun.

Well, maybe not such a great thing after all.

IMG_1532.jpg

Great while it lasted, but I've sprayed maybe 3 cups of stain and 2 of clear. I've got an email in to the seller. Hopefully just a fluke and they'll take care of it.

4. Thanks for your post on this item. I think I am going to pick it up. I have a Graco HVLP that I have been avoiding using because of the stiffness of the hose.

Jim

Yeah, some of those hose fittings are built like garbage. I'm constantly replacing them on my hoses.

My Fuji one has lasted just fine, FWIW.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Before I moved to a pressure-pot setup I used one of those. They are fantastic and the Fuji one I had survived much harsh treatment including being stepped on, tripped over, pulled taught when I ran out of hose etc and never once developed a failure like the one Matt shows. They definitely make the spraying experience a lot easier.

One thing I have tried with some success is to take a wide piece of velcro and wrap it around your arm and the hose together to keep it from getting in the way and reduce fatigue. This of course is better when you are spraying something very large and don't need to put the gun down much.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I just heard back from the seller. They are sending me out another. He said they've never gotten a complaint on it before so he thinks is probably just a fluke. I hope so because I sprayed some pieces after this happened and really missed it. If the replacement doesn't hold up I'll try the Fuji.

I'd like to check them out. Can you share the url for them? Even as a PM?

John, its Ebay item 140768197155. If you put that in the search it will come right up.

Looks like I'll have the replacement Saturday. I'm actually hoping to finish up spraying all the trim by the end of the day Saturday so it might not get used much for a while, though I think my kitchen build will see more of a small batch build-sand-spray workflow than I've done on previous projects.