View Poll Results: Does work of this type have gallery potential?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definte gallery potential

11 40.74%
  • Possible gallery potential if improved

6 22.22%
  • nice but not gallery quality

6 22.22%
  • unlikely to be appealing to galleries

2 7.41%
  • definitely lacks gallery appeal

2 7.41%

Thread: New to SMC

New to SMC

At our recent symposium Turn On Chicago, several attendees encouraged me to check out SMC. I'm still getting the hang of navigating the site so hopefully this thread ends up in the right area. This is a picture of my most recent piece. It was turned, cut and sanded (no carving done) and airbrushed. I rushed through it to get it ready for the symposiusm and planned to do the flower portion as a multi-axis turning with the butterfly in 3 dimensions as one solid piece.. I'm still working on the process. I am looking for an objective assessment, particularly from those with gallery experience, of whether this type of work has any gallery potential or not?

Blossom and leaves are Bradford Pear, stem is walnut/comp wood, base is unknown root burl. Approximately 20" tall x 8" dia.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did not vote in the poll as I think it really boils down to if you think it would appeal to a gallery. Being in galleries are pretty interesting. They all have their own flavor. I think my vote would be to look for a gallery that you feel that your pieces will work in, and then ask them if they are interested in your pieces. I have no problem with your work. I think it is pretty and should fit in a gallery somewhere. It is just finding the right gallery for you.

Alan

You already know my comments, so I won't repeat them here. I think you need to ask yourself the same question a gallery owner will ask himself; "can I sell this". I think if you do what you were actually planning to do, then the answer is yes. This one will sell, but your original idea would bring a higher price. I think at times we worry to much about what other turners think of our work and not enough about what our customers think. I say follow your heart and your passion and the rest will fall into line.
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

I wish there was a "I really like that, but I have no clue what a gallery likes." option.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Very nice work, I believe it has gallery potential. I also agree with Jeff that asking turners this question is not productive, most of us are not customers. I do have one suggestion; try to let the wood show through the color a little more. I think buyers of wood art want to see the wood, nothing wrong with color but I think it is more likely to sell if the wood shows through.

Welcome to the creek Thomas!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Tom, your question reminds of the demo we had last month at Windy City Woodturners. The demonstrator made fifty Harry Potter wands for a special Harry Potter book day at a local book store. He researched the making the wands from the correct woods and sizes. They were true to the Harry Potter series. He sold them all that day. Right product for the right market. Placed in a gallery dealing with nature, flowers, or butterflies, it will sell with no problem. Put it in another type of gallery and it may sit there for a year.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Welcome to the creek Thomas.

Good for a Nature Center Show, or Botanical Garden Art Show, but probably not gallery art. Maybe with some carving to get more texture (sandblasting?) or natural shape to the flower, or with a grouping of flowers and "greens" to elevate the work. Could be the angle, but the base seems very light visually. Very nice first shot.

Welcome Thomas. I think it would be fine in a gallery.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Being the only person here who has owned a gallery...I'll say this. Which gallery? What area of the country? How's the economy? How delicate is the piece? Will it break easily? How much $$ do you want for it? Could I sell it ? All you can do is take it around and see what the gallery owners think
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Were I you, I would spend a day or two visiting Galleries and getting their opinion.

Welcome, Thomas. I agree with the "Depends on the gallery." But having said that, I really enjoy when an artist craftsman sticks with an idea over a long period of time. I like the idea of having a signature style, and then staying with it over the years, adjusting, improving, perfecting, making a name for yourself through a particularly recognizable artform.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

To everyone who took the time to respond,

Thanks for your honest feedback, thoughts and insight. It often helps to step back from our work and get an objective view or thought. You brought many valid considerations for which I am grateful!