Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did it again...lol

I did it again...lol

It's been awhile since I last over did it on applying glue to a tongue and groove joint.....obviously I didn't learn my lesson. Today I was in a hurry (strike one), I cut too much off the tip of my GlueBot (strike two), and proceeded to apply more glue onto a T&G joint than I would syrup onto a stack of pancakes (strike three). When I went to clamp up the joint there was so much excess glue trapped in the groove that I could not apply enough pressure using 3/4" Pony pipe clamps to close the joint, and by the time I gave up trying the wood had swelled sufficiently to prevent the partially closed joint from being pulled apart. Long story short, the tongue is broken off one board and now resides in the groove in the other board. @#$%@#$%@#$%.....I'm a hack.
    Last edited by scott vroom; 08-07-2012 at 8:04 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Scott, Scott, Scott, Scott...

You shoulda known since you were already in a hurry that something was going to happen. I've never once been in a hurry to finish up a project or tried to sneak out before work to glue something up real quick or go out before bed and put that last coat of finish on there...yeah right

Worst mistake in a glue up is to do it in a hurry, I am guilty of this mistake but that's when I keep telling myself why didn't I stop earlier!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Turner View Post
    Scott, Scott, Scott, Scott...

You shoulda known since you were already in a hurry that something was going to happen. I've never once been in a hurry to finish up a project or tried to sneak out before work to glue something up real quick or go out before bed and put that last coat of finish on there...yeah right
    Troy, thanks for the words of encouragement. Learning when to cut your losses and walk away is key to avoiding taking the project out into the yard and building a bonfire....I came very close today. As it is, the QSWO cabinet survived intact and i just need to build another end panel tomorrow. I'm going to start offering my friends Hack-Repellent when they come over in case this is contagious.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Worst mistake in a glue up is to do it in a hurry, I am guilty of this mistake but that's when I keep telling myself why didn't I stop earlier!
    Mreza, how true!
    Scott Vroom

None of my buddies can say they have ever seen where I have done such a thing!!! Oh, did I tell you I have a wood stove in my shop and sometimes I even use it in hot weather???
    Dick

No sweat. I've done it too, its fixable, and luckily the damage is all blind! Biscuits anyone? Dominos? Once while working on frame and panel wainscot that went floor to ceiling on every wall of an entire house, I had been making parts for days. Rabbits or t&g at every transition, some panels as tall as 9', as wide as 16'. Had to have perfectly consistent stile widths throughout to please picky architect. I'd been cutting parts for days form a list, shaping, doing joinery, raising panels. I got anxious to glue up a panel, so I set up, clamped up, went super smooth, stepped back to admire my work, realized I'd glued the panel in backward in one of three openings. Ooops. Unclamped, got dead blow, hit assembly with hammer and block, nothing doing, got bigger hammer, hit it harder......the glue really is stronger than the wood.

Its not a mistake until its spent a night in a dumpster one coworker used to say. The best wood workers are the ones who fix their mistakes the fastest and in the least visible manner. My favorite expression, "I haven't seen that many Dutchman since I spent the summer in Amsterdam!", that one is usually said in reference to my work.

Before gluing take a deep breath, lay everything out including a small brush, think it through before starting then work quickly but efficiently. It is always wise to have run through a dry run before starting.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I can't possibly imagine that I would EVER make a mistake. HAHAHAHA.
    You should have seen some of my screw-ups. There oughta be an award.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I've yet to cut a mortise and tenon that fits well enough to make too much glue an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    Before gluing take a deep breath, lay everything out including a small brush, think it through before starting then work quickly but efficiently. It is always wise to have run through a dry run before starting.
    Gordon, good advice. I soldiered on today and cruised through several more end panel attaches. I put the "hack hat" back on the shelf for future use...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

Two words: Slooooow glue.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Two words: Slooooow glue.

Rick Potter
    Hi Rick,

What type of glue do you use? I've been using TB2 on my casework, virtually all tongue and groove joinery. If I'm not real quick I lose the ability to adjust (slide the tongue piece upward or downward in the groove). A slower setting glue would probably help, but I think the bigger problem is the glue causing the wood to swell which in turn causes the joint to freeze up. Lately I've been experimenting with a second pass of the tongue piece on the router, shaving off maybe a 100th of an inch additional.....seems to help but it also slows my productivity.
    Scott Vroom

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    I've yet to cut a mortise and tenon that fits well enough to make too much glue an issue.
    Hey Ben - there is always that 'Great stuff' expanding foam......

if only kreg would invent an invisible pocket screw/hole...