Thread: PM Model 80 Chuck?

PM Model 80 Chuck?

For those of you that have a Powermatic Model #80 lathe (1 1/2" x 8 RH headstock), what chuck do you recommend for starting to turn bowls?

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

Barracuda 4 for starting out; the body without an insert is 1-1/2 8tpi. The Oneway Stronghold will take many adaptors including 1-1/2 8 tpi, and is a much better chuck.

Dale: Thanks for your response. It appears my only choice is the Barracuda as the Oneway website indicates that the Oneway Stronghold and Talon chucks are not made for any headshafts larger than 1 1/4". This is also the case for the Supernova 2 and associated Nova chucks.

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

Hi David, I had the PM90 lathe (never heard of the 80) which had the 1.5" x 8tpi. There is an insert for the Stronghold that fits as I had one on mine for a while. In addition the vicmarc 120 or 150 can be purchased and the same insert 1.5"x8tpi added. I wasn't aware of the Barracuda having those threads natively, that's a popular chuck as well.

However, the Oneway Stronghold is about 2x the barracuda in price and the Talon won't work as there is no adapter for that size that I know of.

Cheers,
    mike

David, I too, have a Powermatic 90 lathe. I don't think they ever made a model 80...but I could be wrong. I was wrong once in 1984, but that was due to being a teenager...so that doesn't really count.

Anyway, you have options... Grizzly sells a chuck that is a Vicmarc knock-off for around $115. You can get it with 1.5" x 8 tpi threads (I have two of them). You can also get the Oneway Stronghold chuck with the 1.5" x 8 tpi thread insert (I have two of those, too). Another option is to get an adapter. You can get an adapter for your lathe that is 1.5" x 8 tpi to whatever...say 1.25" x 8 tpi, or 1" x 8 tpi so that you can use more common size threaded implements. Just realize that the more adapters and things you put on the spindle, the further away from the headstock you workpiece will be. And the further from the headstock you piece is, the more exaggerated any runout will be.

One more note: Unless whatever you are threading onto your PM90 (I'm assuming that is what you have) is made FOR the PM90 (faceplates, etc), you will likely need a spacer. The reason for this is that the PM90 has a very long threaded spindle. Most (if not all) accessories that are made with 1.5" x 8 tpi threads (but not made by Powermatic) will fit on that spindle, but will bottom out before the accessory actually hits the spindle shoulder. So, the end of the spindle (where the threads start) will dictate how "true" the accessory runs (which will usually be less than acceptable). I recommend getting a quality spacer for your lathe to use whenever using a Stronghold, Grizzly, or any other brand accessory (chuck). I would be happy to tell you where I got mine, but for the life of me, I have no idea. All I can say is that somewhere in this forum, someone suggested that I go to X company to get mine and I did...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Two Mikes:

Yep, you guys are correct. It is PM90. My typing skills suck ! Thanks

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

David,

Mike Cruz started a thread on this same subject, try a search. I think the title is something along the lines of shooting yourself in the foot.

I use a Stronghold on my PM90/91.

Ben

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I figure it's a related question:

Do any of those chucks accept an insert to allow use on the outboard side? And if not, what's the best option for a chuck on the outboard (LH thread) side?

Thanks!

If memory serves correct, the outboard side of a PM 90 is 1-1/8" 8tpi Left hand. The Oneway website list adaptors in that size for both the Talon and the Stronghold.

Thanks for the info.

Would this be a reasonable setup?

- outboard spindle adaptor for 1-1/8" 8tpi LH --> 1-1/2" 8tpi LH
    - oneway stronghold chuck with 1-1/2" 8tpi LH/RH insert
    - outboard turning with lathe running forward (clockwise on outboard side), tool presentation to right side of bowl.

That way, I could use the same chuck/insert on both inboard/outboard turning, without having to change anything around. Interested to hear if anyone sees any flaws in the plan. Want to avoid projectiles if at all possible!

Thanks,

Lee

NO!!!!!!! Sorry, just wanted to get your attention... The outboard spindel is 1 1/8" x 7 tpi. It is the oddest thing in the world...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Wow, thanks for catching that - could have been an expensive mistake!

Plan sound good otherwise?

Not sure if Oneway makes a L/R thread insert at 1 1/2" x 8 tpi. Not sure if you are going to find an adapter that will go from 1 1/8" x 7 tpi Left hand thread to 1 1/2" x 8 tpi Right hand thread. But I suppose if you could find both, then it might work. Remember that the reason the outboard threads are Left hand is because if you are turning in forward, you don't want the chuck to come undone...

If you are putting risers on the lathe, you likely won't need to turn outboard anyway...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    . One more note: Unless whatever you are threading onto your PM90 (I'm assuming that is what you have) is made FOR the PM90 (faceplates, etc), you will likely need a spacer. The reason for this is that the PM90 has a very long threaded spindle. Most (if not all) accessories that are made with 1.5" x 8 tpi threads (but not made by Powermatic) will fit on that spindle, but will bottom out before the accessory actually hits the spindle shoulder. So, the end of the spindle (where the threads start) will dictate how "true" the accessory runs (which will usually be less than acceptable). I recommend getting a quality spacer for your lathe to use whenever using a Stronghold, Grizzly, or any other brand accessory (chuck). I would be happy to tell you where I got mine, but for the life of me, I have no idea. All I can say is that somewhere in this forum, someone suggested that I go to X company to get mine and I did...
    Mike Cruz:
    I did not understand until I received the chuck (Barracuda) today. Yes it threads all the way up the headshaft but stops short of hitting the spindle shoulder (about 1/8"). Your point is get about a 1/2" thick spacer and tighten the chuck up against it and the spindle shoulder so the last thread on the headshaft is eliminated. Good point and I will start looking for the washer/spacer.

Thanks, David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

Yeah, that's the ticket! Sorry I wasn't clear enough... But experiencing it made is clear as day, huh?
    I drink, therefore I am.