Thread: First Entry door project . . . help?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First Entry door project . . . help?

My wife wants a new entry door and has picked a Mission style door she likes with a single side panel. We like qswo for the material. It's a standard 36" door so that helps a little I guess. I know this stuff is heavy. I've uploaded the door picture she found, but just pretend the panel on the right isn't there.

I'm thinking about using 10/4 material and have begun the search. That should finish up to around 2" thickness. The panels I suppose could be 4/4?

Where do I start? I've been reviewing all of the similar threads on this site. Should I go buy Norms video or whatever? I get that wood expands in width and not really in length. I also understand that the panels should float. Actually, I cut apart an old kitchen cabinet door and it had little rubber stops on each side to allow for panel expansion. Should I be looking for something like this?

Are there rail and stile router bit sets for something this large?

We've located a source for the glass and have picked a hardware set already.

The door sets back about 8ft from the roof line so only sees sun for about an hour on summer evenings (about the bottom 3 ft anyway). It's pretty protected from the rain unless it's really blowing, which is pretty unusual. It snowed here twice in the last 20 years, so that's not an issue. The temp ranges from 32F to 110F, depending. Humidity from around 15% to raining.

Taking any and all advice.

Regards,
    Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images