Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Entry door project . . . help?

Hi Larry,

I just keep getting in deeper and deeper :-)[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. It always seems that one thing leads to another. I don't know about the jointers you mentioned. I do know that General makes quality machinery. I am talking about the Canadian made, I don't know about General Int. I have a General 14" planer, and it is great. You always hear good things about Grizzly. Off the top of my head, $1900 sounds high, I don't know... For me, bigger is better. I would say 8" up. I think for making your door you want the longest bed you can get.

I try to buy all of my lumber in the rough, so I use my jointer on every project. It is always a pleasure to work with straight and flat material.

If you don't think you would use a jointer after your door is complete, and you are up for a little drive, you are welcome to bring your stock to my shop for jointing. It would probably take a couple of trips for rough jointing, and final jointing after glue up. It appears that you live a couple of hours from me. Just another option.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gipson View Post
    Thanks Scott,

This has been a really useful thread. I've learned quite a lot. Thanks again for the personal help.

I do know a fellow with a General 80-200L with the helical carbide head who will sell it for $1900. He also has a 15" planer for sale for the same amount. The tools have been sitting for a few years without use. I know this because I bought my bandsaw from him and it's just like new. For the same price. . .

Anyway, if I buy a jointer, I don't think I'd use it more than a couple times a year, sort of like I use my planer. I'm hoping I can buy something less expensive, perhaps a Grizzly. Or perhaps something in good condition used. Not being a jointer person, there are parallelogram planers and self aligned cutters and a slew of jointer types to consider. I'll need to research this more, but it really appears the helical head technology has a better resale value right now. What do you think of this one: http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-...eries-/G0656PX

I just keep getting in deeper and deeper :-)
    General does indeed make nice equipment, but I know a couple of different people that have the model of Grizzly jointer and they love it. You might let him know the price on the Grizz, and ask him if he would drop his price.

If you won't use the machine much, it would be worthwhile to take Sam up on his offer. It's always great to meet fellow woodworkers and SMC members!

I bought the Grizzly Go490 with helical head. This is apparently an 8" jointer with a parallelogram design. Now if I figure out where to store the sucker :-)

I also bought some router bits from Infinity yesterday. I hope there's enough to make this work. I bought their Shaker set, but it only goes to 1.75". They don't sell a longer arbor and honestly, I'd be scared to use a 5/16" diameter arbor at that length anyway. With my luck it would chatter and make a not so good cut. But... all of the cutters can be taken off the shaft and reassembled anyway you want. To use the set on this, I'd have to take the top cutter off and replace it with a spacer. I also bought another 1/4" cutter and a shim set which can be used to make a 1/2" mortise cut. So I can cut the Shaker chamfer and a half inch slot in the stile, then flip the board over and run the other side. I also bought the extended tenon cutter, which will allow me to make tenons of any random length while cutting the matching chamfer in the rail. If all this crap doesn't work, I also bought the opposing 15 degree chamfer bit to use instead of the set. Then I'll make the mortise with my spiral upcut bit.

A bunch of toys to play with and no way to ensure success at this point, but entertaining I guess.

Regards,
    Larry

Good choice on the jointer the H Head is nice to have.Good luck with the Router bits i mean in a good way.I myself have never been able to wrap my head around the proper set up for door set cutters.I use mortice and tenons joints with draw bore pegs.Then apply molding inside around the panels.Cope and stick for glass are mind bogging enough for me.Did you find your wood yet?

Hi Andrew,

I've been talking to a person on the East coast about wood, but haven't heard a price yet. I'm afraid the shipping costs will be prohibitive.

I called around the local area again, this time assuming 4/4 (for a massive glue up as Sam does) and found both rough and planed material available for $5 to $6 range.

There's actually a really interesting place out in Anza that sells reclaimed wood I'd like to visit. They don't have the white oak my wife wants, but do have some really interesting materials for future projects.

http://www.tulepeaktimber.com/site/main?page=Home

These guys aren't very far from us and would be a fun drive in the desert. They seem to be really interesting characters (like me?).

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gipson View Post
    Hi Andrew,

I've been talking to a person on the East coast about wood, but haven't heard a price yet. I'm afraid the shipping costs will be prohibitive.

I called around the local area again, this time assuming 4/4 (for a massive glue up as Sam does) and found both rough and planed material available for $5 to $6 range.

There's actually a really interesting place out in Anza that sells reclaimed wood I'd like to visit. They don't have the white oak my wife wants, but do have some really interesting materials for future projects.

http://www.tulepeaktimber.com/site/main?page=Home

These guys aren't very far from us and would be a fun drive in the desert. They seem to be really interesting characters (like me?).
    Ouch....that's pretty steep for oak! I'd call a few other places, that's more than double what we pay in the Northeast!

good luck,
    JeffD

If you don't mind the drive to LA, you should check out Bohnhoff lumber. Everything they sell is rough though, so you will need a jointer and planer to mill. They have a great selection, great people and the best prices around AFAIK. QSWO would definitely not be an issue. Give them a call.

Bohnhoff is the lumber yard is LA i was trying to remember.Great place.