Thread: Cyclone installation underway

Cyclone installation underway

Well after almost a full year after purchasing a CV1800 cyclone dust collector I began to install the unit in my shop (2 car garage). I chose to install the unit in one of the front corners of the shop. With a little help from the wife getting the motor assembly 8 1/2 feet into the air (she deserves a gloat) the assembly was very straight forward. I have not been in a rush so I have yet to install the modified fiber barrel. Tonight I hooked up power to the motor and remote control system to get an idea of how loud this the motor will be. WHAT A BEAST!!!!! I thought I was down the road at the local Boeing factory in the engine shop. I will need to construct some type of sound absorption contraption around the motor assembly. It is a good thing I do not own a shop cat. It would have gotten the ride of its life tonight. This thing moves a lot of air! I would imagine it would just about suck the air out of a basketball. I was hoping to have the piping done prior to receiving my Hammer A3 41 but I don't think that I can wait that long now. My piping project just moved up the priority list.

Funny thing how that works, eh Ralph? <g>
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    installed my CV1800 in the far corner of the shop ... fired it up ... sounded like a jet helicopter taking off ... immediately UNinstalled it, and moved it up into the attic. Lots more work, but very well worth it. With the unit running, you can still hear normal conversation very easily.

Bob, I only wish I had that option. My garage has no attic. I am already thinking installing a strobe in the shop as there is no way I will hear any verbal communication with the cyclone running. I cannot enclose the unit and cut off the air flow to the motor but I am thinking some well place sound absorbing foam around the motor housing will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    installed my CV1800 in the far corner of the shop ... fired it up ... sounded like a jet helicopter taking off ... immediately UNinstalled it, and moved it up into the attic. Lots more work, but very well worth it. With the unit running, you can still hear normal conversation very easily.
    Bob, any tips or tricks for this? Pictures perhaps? I am toying with the idea of installing my cyclone in the attic as well but I am concerned about long term durability of the unit being in an unconditioned space. Is your chip bin in the shop? Is your shop heated and cooled, that would be my biggest concern as I am installing a heat pump in my shop?
    Last edited by Ben Martin; 08-08-2012 at 11:29 AM.

I run my blower as a stand alone in the attic and while that helps, most of the noise comes through the filters. How are you returning the filtered air to the shop? i do try to turn the motor off when not needed in the summer when the attic is hot. Dave

just remember that if you ran it without a collection bin, or worse without filters hooked up, the thing will be WAY louder. I was worried too when I first tested my unit out but after getting everything hooked up it's really not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Bob, any tips or tricks for this? Pictures perhaps? I am toying with the idea of installing my cyclone in the attic as well but I am concerned about long term durability of the unit being in an unconditioned space. Is your chip bin in the shop? Is your shop heated and cooled, that would be my biggest concern as I am installing a heat pump in my shop?
    There are a few pictures of my installation on the ClearVue website ... if you would like more, let me know ... I can post them or email them to you.

My cyclone/blower and filters are all in the attic ... all you see in the shop is ducting, the collection barrel ... and a box on the wall that houses the remote/relay/bin sensor full strobe.

It really worked out beyond my expectations ... I love it !!! !!!

I installed my CV (more than a year after getting it) in our basement. Since noise was a big concern I made a closet with sound proofing bats. My wife won't notice when I turn it on in the shop.
    Well worth the time and effort. It tampers the sound significantly:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...vue&highlight=

Did some reading on this forum before installing my Woodsucker, several years ago, and installed my pipe in the attic with the cyclone in the unfinished room in my building. Helps with the noise, only downside is you have to do your changing of the dust piping in the attic when you make shop changes. And of course, in winter you are losing a little heat, and a little cool in summer. Now I plan to take that unfinished room into the shop, mostly for storage of material, so will have to build around the cyclone. Considering putting doors between the two rooms, but the opening has to be wide enough to easily push a 4x8 sheet flat through on my cart. The lumber storage rack and plywood storage just takes up too much room in the work area, hence the change.

You will find out that the noise is not at the motor. Even the blower is not that noisy. The noise generated at the blower is heard through the exhaust. I have the CV1800 in my shop and with it on, you can carry on a normal volume conversation with no problem. But, I exhaust outside. Sounds like a small turbine engine running outside. Good thing my neighbors aren't too close. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Mine exhausts into the shop ... BUT ... I have a large plenum containing 6 big TORIT filters that really help to diffuse the air and the noise.

I installed my unit outside, under the eave of my shop and it's still loud. I put pics on clear view several years ago. Not sure if they're their any more since the company changed hands.