Thread: Brass Eggbeater?

Brass Eggbeater?

I was at a class with Roy Underhill at Lie-Nielsen this weekend (you can read about it at http://www.closegrain.com/2012/08/ta...ery-class.html), and one of the students had this gorgeous toolbox containing among other things a solid brass eggbeater drill, kind of like a large Millers Falls No. 2. You can just see it at the front of the box in the photo below.

img_4235.jpg

It did have a few iron parts, but the body frame, the crank arm, the main drive gear, and the smaller gears were brass. It was beautiful (I should have gotten a picture).

No one else had seen a brass one of these before; this was the only one the owner had ever seen. Anybody know anything about them? I was thinking it might have been intended for use by a shipboard carpenter, since a lot of nautical fittings are brass to avoid salt corrosion.
    Last edited by Steve Branam; 08-08-2012 at 6:22 AM.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Here's one I made. I don't know if the old ones were all one-off's like this one or not. Very nice box and tools!!

Actually,mine is bronze. More pictures of it in the FAQ section.

What inspired me to make this one and a few other different models(which I don't have decent pictures of,I still have this drill),was a brass one I saw for sale in "The Mechanick's Workbench"(a seller of high class antique tools) back in the late 70's. I wonder if this drill in your picture is that same drill? I'm pretty sure such drills were made by the workman himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-08-2012 at 9:11 AM.