Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robo Calls

Buddy of mine would ask the telemarketer for their home number -- when asked why he would say "so I can call you when you're having dinner"!

Blog Entries
    I have had probably a hundred "last chance" calls from the credit company scammer. I wish it was my last chance.

I can't deal with the charity/political/survey calls. It really ticks me off that these groups were made themselves exempt from the law. Do Not Call should mean exactly that. I won't give to a charity that solicits this way as most that do are borderline illegitimate anyway. Most surveys are very thinly veiled attempts to sell a product or politician.

Matt,
    You're right. There are some legal loopholes. When I get a live person I tell them I don't want any more calls. It's unclear to me but I've read where even those exempt from the law are not suppose to call you back if you've asked to be removed. But, you have to inform them of this even if you're on the DNC registry. This is why so many of these calls are robo and call back won't work. Legit companies typically don't want to violate the DNC law. It is a $1500 per violation fine and if it's a legit business they can be found and fined.

You're also right about the product surveys and alot of the political surveys. These days I just hang up after I tell them to remove me and if they call back I'll file a complaint. I used to give them false information.

Blog Entries
    I must have a special phone number because I get very few telemarketing calls since the DNC was enacted. I very rarely get a call that isn't from a business I already deal with.
    My discovery was that if you fill out a form they customers at our local hardware store for "a chance at free stuff" you will start getting calls.

Now every time I go in and the person asks me if I want a chance to win a free kitchen makeover or whatever, the answer is "NO" and they are told why.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Rachel has not called me for a long time
    Infact I rarely get telemarketing scam calls, about 15 years ago I started reciting this spiel:
    I am giving you official notice to put me on your do not call list.
    If you continue to call I will take further legal action.
    It is amazing how their attitudes change, only one person told me off, in all the years...
    Carpe Lignum

"Rachel" and her clones are not legal calls, so do not expect DNC lists, call-blocking, etc., to work. They never come from the same number (even that information is fraudulently generated for each call) and the origination isn't even likely within US jurisdiction. The best you can do is hang up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you think Rachel os bad dpwmload a demo for Bobcad and be prepared.

I'll call you, John.

What's inconvenient for you?
    Would you prefer a Philadelphia patter or Bangalore boiler-room for accent?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    Guy (or gal) who invented Robo call has a special place in hell.
    Right next to the people who molest children and talk in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If you think Rachel os bad dpwmload a demo for Bobcad and be prepared.
    That's for sure! As a BobCad user, I know what your saying!