Thread: Elm coloration as it ages

Blog Entries

Elm coloration as it ages

Does elm change or darken from the bright yellow as it ages? I have a large platter/shallow bowl that I have been working on for a lady I work with and I am needing to plan for the finishing. She is wanting something darker in color to match her floors(I think).

Thanks!

Brent - I have turned a few bowls out of Elm and they have darkened somewhat over the years. Best of luck matching colors... chances are the bowl and/or her floor will change color with age at some point anyway.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

There are several specie of elm. I turned some elm from a huge tree that was taken down last winter. I believe mine was American Elm. It was so dark when wet it reminded me of walnut. As it dried it became almost light tan. I finished one piece from it and began the finish schedule with a coat of linseed oil, then shellac followed by my favorite top coat. The wood darkened to a medium yellowish brown. Elm is not the easiest wood to finish. dry out some scraps and experiment.
    faust

If your Elm has a yellowish color when wet, its probably Chinese Elm, and will darken to a honey brown color as it ages.

I never thought about the different species of Elm aging differently. I have only turned Chinese Elm and agree with Jamie's description of it turning a nice honey brown as it ages.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Don't you just love it, when people want all wood to match and be same color. Paint it is what I say.