Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The problem today...

The problem today...

I mean, really?!?! This is an ad I found on CL today. Hey, I understand that not everyone is fluent in spelling and grammar. But if you are going to put yourself out there to try to drum up business, show that you are thorough enough to use spell check, look words up in the dictionary, use the SHIFT key when necessary, and punctuate correctly. I wouldn't hire this guy to pick up my trash! And, yes, I clicked SpellCheck to make sure I didn't murder any words.

woodworking/carpentry - $1

Date: 2012-08-10, 2:30PM EDT
    Reply to:

Hey im wanting to exdpand my work and am looking for anyone who needs anything done with landscaping/carpentry/woodworking and am very mecanicly inclined. I can send pics of my previouse work i do any thype of woodworking and am a very hard and fast worker.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Seems about normal for CL.

There are many posts on SMC that aren't much better.

We have a guy trying to sell a dump thruck. He's been posting the same ad for several weeks.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Granted he makes a poor first impression, but I'd look at his work before I made a judgement. There are a lot of talented folks out there who have mastered a craft or trade, yet stumble with the written word.

The best electrician I know is practically illiterate. He knows how to ask for help and use a spell checker, though. Do a good deed, Mike. Correct it for him and send him an e-mail. Maybe he just doesn't realize how critical that first impression is.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    The best electrician I know is practically illiterate. He knows how to ask for help and use a spell checker, though. Do a good deed, Mike. Correct it for him and send him an e-mail. Maybe he just doesn't realize how critical that first impression is.
    John, an electrician that's practically illiterate is going to be a dangerous electrician as he won't be able to read and understand the electrical code. There's a lot of reading and some mathematics required to be a tradesman...........Rod.

spel chequer iz yor frend. nevr unerestimate the ability of the stupid to outwit logical systems.

click 'add to dictionary'
    makes all the red marks go away
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    John, an electrician that's practically illiterate is going to be a dangerous electrician as he won't be able to read and understand the electrical code. There's a lot of reading and some mathematics required to be a tradesman...........Rod.
    I appreciate your opinion Rod, but considering that you don't know this man, his knowledge, his work, and the respect he commands from others in the field, you're being a little presumptuous. Next you'll be professing that if you're deaf, you can't be a world class musician.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 08-10-2012 at 8:35 PM.

I, too, know a guy who was one of the best carpenter tradesmen in our town--couldn't read a lick, four of them big marks and one leetle one!

Yeah, I get it that not everyone is well educated. I don't look down on those that aren't. And I've known some people that are close to illiterate, but are some of the best people I've known, and were great workers. But that does not preclude anyone from taking the time, and making the effort, to make that good first impression by putting together an ad that in the very least doesn't have spelling and grammatical errors. It is one thing to be selling something on CL with hacked English. But yet another to basically be putting out a resume, trying to get work, and not even capitalize the letter "i". I find that lazy. Which is not a trait that I want in someone I hire.

That said, I've got dependent clauses and phrases as full sentences in the above paragraph. But this is a forum, not a resume. I often start sentences on forums with "but" and "and". However, I'm not trying to get hired here...

John, I would take you up on that "good deed", but I've found lately that none of those go unpunished. The last few times I thought I was just helping someone out with a helpful hint (like an item on Ebay that was supposed to be for machine X, but was actually for machine Y; or the machine that was grossly overpriced and I simply tried to help the person out with what they've going for realistically) backfired on me. So, rather than try to help the guy and get possibly yelled at, I'll leave him be...

I actually heard the following on the radio a couple of days ago...and I'm paraphrasing (though, putting it is quotes): "A new study shows that those children with good handwriting have better success in life." I had no issue with that. But the person went on to add, "This basically boils down to those that learn to write by hand have better futures." WHAT? Kids aren't learning to write anymore? Are they simply typing with thumbs? Ok, end of rant. I just don't like the sloppy direction that the times are leading us in...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Here's an interesting thing that happened to me:

I'm selling off some musical gear. I posted an add on craigslist, and the add says to call anytime. So at midnight last night, I get a call from a guy that wants to trade me some stuff for some of my gear. I had him send me an email with whatever he had in mind.

The e-mail comes in, and at 1:00am, I respond back to him and make him an offer. The last words of my e-mail were "Let me know."

Fast forward to today, I have several other guys interested in the items. I put them off because I was waiting to hear back from call at midnight guy (hey, I DID say to call anytime, and 12:00am counts as anytime, so I can't really be upset about that!). I go out with the wife, run some errands, have a bit of lunch and get back around 1:30. I still haven't heard from the guy so I took one of the other offers.

Finally, around 2:00pm, the guy calls be up and accepts the offer. I tell him that the item is now gone.

"I thought you promised it to me??"

Huh? I tried to explain to him that I made him an offer, and that he needs to respond. He had all night, all morning, and the beginning of the afternoon. I can't hold items while he's out looking for better offers...or sleeping, or whatever. For every deal I make, I have two more that I never hear back from EVER.

Needless to say, his undies are in a bunch, but I can hear he's a young man and I'm trying to be very nice about it. Seriously, though...if there's something you want, why aren't you aggressively pursuing it? When I was young, I would pester people to death and rush rush rush to get what I wanted, always afraid that the opportunity would pass me by if I was asleep at the switch. This kid was much too young to be this laid back already.

John, and your example above is my SECOND pet peeve about the youth today. Just as you described, when I want something, I actively and aggressively pursue it because I expect that I have to work at it to show my interest. The youth today seems to feel like they "deserve" everything. They are "due" everything. Granted that is not EVERY youth, but it seems to be a common attitude that is running rampant. When I was a teen, I knew I had to do whatever it took to have the PRIVILEGE of getting my driver's license. Now a days, all I hear is "I'm 16, it is my right to have a driver's license!". Or, if parents say "You don't get your license unless or until you get your grades up!", the kids just "wait it out" until the parents are forced to let them get their licenses so they can get to work or so the parents don't have to keep driving them around everywhere.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Back in 2005, I was in the market for a boat. I saw a local newspaper ad for a 22 foot Cursor. He (or the newspaper) may have spelled it wrong. Shortly after buying, I discovered it was absolutely correct.

Finally sold it last summer..How do you spell relief?
    N-O-B-O-A-T
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Bill, what do they say?... The two happiest days of a boat owner's life... The day he buys the boat, and the day he sells it! Oddly enough, I'm in the market of selling mine. However, I don't think it will be one of "those" two days. I'll miss not having it. I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it...
    I drink, therefore I am.

My dad’s favorite saying back in his sailing days was B-O-A-T, Bring-On-Another-Thousand!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney