Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Padded floor in workshop or good shoes?

I put 1/2" interlocking floor mats in front of a few machines. My wife said I should do the whole floor so I did. I got them at Sam's Club for about $.50 a sq. ft. I've had them down for about 10 years now and they have held up well. They have also saved a lot of chisel tips that would have hit the concrete. As far as comfort I can now work in slippers if I want to and don't have to put on the Redwings to spend time in the shop.

Here's a discussion that may help.

http://www.woodtalkonline.com/topic/...r-woodworking/

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones near Indy View Post
    My dad, who worked standing on a concrete floor in a confined ares for 25 years, wouldn't buy any shoe other than a Red Wing work shoe--he retired in 1980 so I don't know if they are as good a shoe now as they were then.
    +1 on the Red Wings. You can get them at most industrial shoe supply stores or boot stores. A good pair may cost you $100+, but it doesn't take many mats to equal that. I wear crocs when only in there for a few hours, but also have rubber mats in front of the bench, TS, and router table. If I'm working for all day, I'll put the workboots on or a pair of tennis shoes. The workboots are steel toes with metatarsals, so I usually on wear them if I'm doing a lot of lifting or something rougher out in the yard where I want some extra protection, but you can get them without the steel toes.

Mike

I was having back trouble, went to a chiropractor, he has a scanner you stand on and it checks your arches. He recommended these foot pads, they have built in arch supports, were very expensive, but really help. When they are worn out, plan to try the dr shoals machine at walmart. It is supposed to recommend the right arch supports. My older son bought some, said they helped a great deal. I'd like to have a wood floor in my shop, but don't want to move all my machines, benches etc to build a wood floor over the concrete. If starting over, would pour a stem wall and go with floor joists and a wood floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones near Indy View Post
    My dad, who worked standing on a concrete floor in a confined ares for 25 years, wouldn't buy any shoe other than a Red Wing work shoe--he retired in 1980 so I don't know if they are as good a shoe now as they were then.
    I have three pairs of Red Wings. I like them because they are carefully fitted, can provide a custom fitted insole, and last a long time. I am fortunate that there is a Red Wing store nearby.

+1 on the Redwing shoes, I’ve worn them for years. I have the steel toes because of the neuropathy in my feet; if I drop something on them sometimes I don’t know it. So my wife insisted I get them this time around. SAS are my regular shoe and they last a long time but do cost a bit, worth every penny. If you have a farm store around the horse stall mats work very well too. I’ve used them for years too.
    Dan

Blog Entries
    I have 2 bevel edge mats that I can move around to the current work area, say in front of the router table, workbench or drill press, depending on what repetitive work item I am doing at the time. But Crocs or a cheap imitation would be cheaper and more mobile. Bought the mats way before Crocs were invented.

Good shoes are first and foremost. I worked 12hr shifts on my feet for 11 years, and cheap shoes couldn't cut it. At that time, my first rule was never buy work boots that cost less than $125. I'm sure that number is likely higher nowadays with the increased cost of everything, but there's a reason $150+ boots cost what they do. Then, just stick with the brands that are known to make good work boots. You may need mats in addition, but good shoes are a must.

I buy my Redwings from a small dealer that is about a 2 thirds the cost of a Redwing store. The ones I get cost $185 at a redwing store but I get them for $120 from the Amish dealer.

I have had the interlocking mats on a concrete floor for about 6 years, not expensive as they came from harbor freight. Surprisingly they have held up very well and appear to have a few years left in them. In addition I wear sketcher shape ups, which I have found to be very comfortable with lots of cushion. A lot of people, like my wife, have problems with the shape ups, so walk around the showroom for a little while before buying. Of the two, I would go for the mats first.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

I usually wear crocks and I have the interlocking floor mats, from Sams. Cheap and they have held up for years.

+1 on some type of mats. I have an eclectic collection of mats - ranging from the 1/2" interlocking foam mats that Chris describes to some scrap rigid 1/2" pink styrofoam under old cardboard boxes. As far as footware goes, I love asics running shoes with the gel integrated into the soles. The shoes themselves are very light and extremely comfortable. Decent ones start at around $60 a pair.

Another big plus for the Crocs. I live in them when I'm not at work. If I could get by with wearing them at work, I'd wear them there too! Be sure to try them on before you buy though, sizing is very inconsistant from one style to the next, and even in the same styles from one lot to the next. There is also a huge difference in the soles from one style to the next. The classics seem to have the best cushion, a few other styles are good too. Some styles have soles so thin and hard they're like walking on single ply cardboard. Other styles have sharp, over-aggressive bumps on the soles that hurt the bottoms of your feet after wearing them for awhile. The ones with leather uppers will often rub blisters on the sides of your feet until they're broke in.

I use to swear by Redwing work boots and oxfords. I wore them through high school in the 70s, and through my construction and industrial maintenance years into the 90s. I have wide and hard to fit feet, but Redwings came in just about every size and width imaginable. Very comfortable even after standing on concrete all day. But then in the mid 1990s something changed within Redwing. They started abandoning old models, and started with new styles. It was an obvious change that happened from one old pair that I had worn out, to the next new pair. They just couldn't get the fit right for my feet anymore.

another basement dweller here....

I did all my aisle ways with the cheap interconnecting foam mats, which my wife got me on sale at the Christmas Tree Shop and BJs. The only thing I don't like about them is that I have an office chair and a draftsman's stool (both on casters) that I can't roll around on the mats while sitting on them.

For shoes, I second the recommendations for good running shoes. I just wore out a pair of Aisics gells that I loved. But now have a pair of Nike Airs that I also love.

Can someone please post a link to the type of crocks your all talking about. Not those cheap foam rubber things that my kids ware I hope.

I have a concrete floor in my shop. I have always felt an easy on the body wood floor was impractical in a wood shop because of fire danger.

I am retired now, but when I was running my shop commercially, pieces of cardboard packing from plywood bunks became floor mats at the workbenches - new cardboard replaced the old as needed. When cleanup time came, the cardboard was put up and the shop was easily blown out. My Crocs would have been nice back then - I certainly appreciate them now.

After a long day of wood dust making, how do you clean the shop floors with the heavy stall matting or interlocking mats that are being talked about in this thread?
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 09-15-2012 at 9:00 AM.