Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planing Cherry

Planing Cherry

I have not been working with hand planes very long. Most of my planing has been with WO or African Mahogany.

I just picked up some cherry for a new project.
    I find it is very hard to hand plane. All tools are sharp. All of my hand planes push like a stalled truck.

The grain looks good and straight.

Should cherry be hard to hand plane?

Thanks, Dale

Blog Entries
    No, but cherry is not my first hand tool choice - it's usually not very straight grained so tearout can be a problem. However, between a sharp plane and a scraper, you can do well with it.

As to your planes being hard to push, it's hard to say and many others can give better advise, but suspicisions are that you may have the iron to set too deep, your blade is not as sharp as you think, or there may be a pronounced back bevel on the blade for some reason. I'm assuming you have a Stanley type plane. If it's a bevel up plane, you probably have too steep an angle on the blade. Anyway, my .02.

Try to Veritas Bevel Up

You need to try the Veritas Bevel up smoother. Working with Cherry is a little tough. Your planes should not push hard, however. Don said planes are set too deep. Sounds like a good call. Cherry is worth the effort I think. Razor sharp and thin shavings. The LV smoother is amazing but does take some horse power to push. Pay attention to grain. Finish with scraper.

Jim

Have you applied wax to the sole of your plane?

I usually find WO to be at least as difficult to work as cherry. Cherry usually planes beautifully for me. And I love the smell! Keep some of the shavings for burnishing other woods as well. If your plane is hard to push then I would guess you are planing in the wrong direction or too deep of a cut. But I can usually take a pretty deep cut on cherry...
    Salem

If you can plane who and African mahogany, you can plane cherry. Those woods can be prone to tear out as well. Try a lighter pass.

Generally, cherry works quite easily with planes, BUT I once ended up with some that, while especially beautiful was very very hard and quite a bit more difficult than usual to plane - thinking back on it now, I think it came from an area of the tree near where one or more very large limbs may had branched off. It may be possible that you got a piece/batch that is an outlier in terms of hardness. As others have said, you may just need to take a lighter cut than usual.

I use handplanes for all surfacing and I almost only work with cherry and walnut. I think cherry planes really nice, but there is variation in each board, even within the boards. Please post close-up pictures of the boards that are trouble for you. The grain gives clues

Tips -
    Are your tools REALLY sharp? Try holding a piece of paper in front of you (in the air). A sharp blade will cut through it and leave a perfect cut with no pressure and just a bit of movement. If it does not cut, or leaves a rough edge - try sharpening again. A dull edge is 99% of the problem.

Are you planning against the grain? Try the other direction.

Can you effortlessly plane across the grain? If not, something is wrong (see tip 1).

Back up the blade all the way into the plane. Lower while planning until you touch wood. Take light shavings for a while.

How "open" is the mouth? A really tight mouth makes them hard to push, even if you don't think it is clogging up.

How close to the edge is the chip breaker? Back it off about an 1/8 inch and try that.

Good luck!
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Thanks for all the tips. I will give them all a try. I may not have my irons as sharp as I think and I am still trying to understand the mouth/chip breaker stuff.
    I can fix the tear out pretty easily with my #3 smoother.

Dale, I've only used Cherry on one project, but it planed very smoothly with my ECE Primus smoother... maybe the 50deg angle helped?

I tried a few things.
    Sharpened irons again. Tried the paper cutting thing... Did not work. Stropped some more. Cut paper very nicely. and hair.
    Took thinner cuts.
    Moved chip breaker back a little. That really helped. Opened the mouth a little more.
    Works a whole lot better.
    All but one of my planes are Stanley types. Old and LN. One is a LV LABU jack. Nice plane for this work. Works great with very little tear out when taking heavy cuts.
    I may have to get the smoother from LV also.

I have been using paraffin on the soles of the planes and that helps greatly.

Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by Dale Cruea; 08-12-2012 at 8:39 PM.

Jim , if your hand planing why would you want to diminish the hand planed surface with a scraper? With a well tuned plane it should be a noticeable bit nicer surface than a scraped surface.

As others have said Cherry planes up nicely. There are typically spots of tearout as the grain will usually change directions on wide flat sawn pieces but in general cherry is a great hand tool hardwood, especially when compared to WO. I also like working WO but certain batches of this stuff can be extremely hard! I've had white oak that was almost as hard and heavy as rosewood. I've saved a few small scraps to use for around the shop for tools and other items. Cherry is probably my favorite domestic wood and I work it more than any other species. I can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Correy Smith View Post
    Jim , if your hand planing why would you want to diminish the hand planed surface with a scraper? With a well tuned plane it should be a noticeable bit nicer surface than a scraped surface.
    Correy - I am interested in understanding why you say this.

In my experience, a well tuned scraper cuts just as well as a plane (and better on difficult grain) although it is utilizing a burr rather than the sharpened edge of the blade. A planed or scraped surface is much nicer than a sanded surface, but I can't tell the difference between the plane and scraper.

Dale, You should go to Woodworking in America. All of the handtool vendors are there. They are very helpful and will allow hands on work and give you great tips. WOA will be in November this year at Cincinnati. I think it is $10 at the door to just view the vendor area. They sent me a coupon to get in for $5 last year. It is about three hundred if you want to go to classes. I have never done the classes but I learn a great deal there every year. A handtool paradise. Last year at the LN display they showed me how to start a English dovetail saw. I now use that over the Japan style. Plus LN and LV will give you free shipping if they don't have the item there for sale. Good luck!