Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop made fence for #7 jointer plane ideas?

Judson,

Curious about your bench dog holes. What is the specifications and such. They look to have copper or brass tubing inserts. Can you tell us about them? Do you use dogs in them or some other fixture?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Gallaher View Post
    Judson,

Curious about your bench dog holes. What is the specifications and such. They look to have copper or brass tubing inserts. Can you tell us about them? Do you use dogs in them or some other fixture?
    Short answer, mistake recovery. Long answer, this is the first hand tool woodworking bench I've made (I'm a long time woodworker, but relatively new to the Neanderthal ways). So I thought it would be easier and just as good to use a solid core door for the top. I had thought a solid core door was MDF or particle board inside apparently Its something more like a compressed straw with glue. So I figured I need to line the dog holes with something and that something was gonna be ¾" copper pipe. In the end this took much longer (I think) than making the top out of real lumber. And the bench is not as flat (result of belt sanding the copper pipes and the 8/4 hard maple apron flush with the door) as I'd like it to be. I've been toying with the idea of another top on top of that top but I've got a few other things to do first. Someday I'd build my dream bench

IMG_20130411_122109_103.jpg
    IMG_20130411_131546_817.jpg

I made one too, after reading Chris' blog. Instead of trying to cut a perfectly square notch out of a board for the fence, I glued two pieces of wood together. It works if the board you are planing has enough height when clamped to clear the fence block.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Mr. Glenn, your idea of gluing two squared pieced together is a very good one. It took me a bit of time even with careful marking and sawing to get mine right. It's way easier to square two separate pieces as you recommended than using a paring chisel etc.

Also, I wonder if you clamped the work piece to a moxen vise set up or even to a wider board to the bench, you could get around the narrowness issue of the work piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    Mr. Glenn, your idea of gluing two squared pieced together is a very good one. It took me a bit of time even with careful marking and sawing to get mine right. It's way easier to square two separate pieces as you recommended than using a paring chisel etc.

Also, I wonder if you clamped the work piece to a moxen vise set up or even to a wider board to the bench, you could get around the narrowness issue of the work piece.
    Terry, I didn't even square up two pieces. I squared up one long one, then cut off a section and glued it to the other. It took about ten minutes. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I have the LV fence also. Works well enough but is taller than it needs to be. If I am trying to square a thin rail that I have clamped in the face vise, I am often out of luck since the fence bottoms out.

Lately I've been using my Jack plane camber to correct an edge that is out of square. A little more practice and I think I will sell the LV fence.