Thread: Walnut Campaign Chest

Walnut Campaign Chest

This is from the department of "no good deed goes unpunished." When my wife and I were first married fifty years ago, we furnished our home with farm auction castoffs. One of them was a walnut campaign chest in rough shape. When I retired, I refurbished it and my wife stores her needle art supplies in it. At her next birthday, she requested that I make another one like it. I did, and our oldest daughter saw it and wanted one, too. Long story short, this is the eighth rendition of the venerable chest.

The walnut is from the local Woodcraft store. The hardware is from Lee Valley. The velvet lining of the tray is from Rockler. The tray lifts out. The finish is one coat of General Finishes Seal-A-Cell followed by many coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal. I have never been able to get a streak-free wipe-on, wipe-off finish. Fill the wood pores with a wiping finish; let the finish cure for three days, carefully sand so there are no clogs in the sandpaper; apply Arm-R-Seal thinned 2:1 with a top-quality brush. Using 220 grit gives a streak-free flat finish; 320 grit gives a streak-free satin finish; 400 grit gives a streak-free gloss finish with a slightly soft lustre, shown here.

I appreciate comments, both critical and praising.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John, that's very clean! What are the dimensions on it?

Thanks, Scott. It is 24"w x 12"d x 9"h, not golden ratio, but following the dimensions of the original.

here's some praise: Very very nice indeed
    here's some criticism: what is the size ???
    MARK

Oooops, should have scrolled down before I shot off my big mouth!
    MARK

When they say "practice makes perfect . . . " THEY'RE RIGHT! Very nicely done on the 8th rendition!

(I tried to find a criticism . . . just couldn't. Too well done!)
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

That's beautiful work. Very nice design and great wood finish.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I agree with everyone else. Very beautifully done.

You might want to consider inlaying the brass corners so they are flush with the wood. There is an article in this months Popular Woodworking (Aug) showing this being done to a piece of campaign furniture.

Yup, another vote in favor of your campaign chest, very nice work and a clean design.

Would you share with us the techniques you used to install the velvet?

Ken

Very Nice Work
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Yes, the adhesive-backed velvet looks great, but is tricky to install. And it is nearly impossible to install after the project is assembled. Here's what i do: first apply final finish to the interior faces of the project; then cut the velvet oversize; remove the release liner; lay the velvet on a table sticky side up; lay the workpiece on the velvet adhesive; press to firmly attach; trim off the excess; slip the workpiece into place during assembly.

Very nice looking chest, I can see why your family would want one.
    Best Regards,

Gordon