Thread: Cyclone/compressor Shed Vents?

Cyclone/compressor Shed Vents?

I've just built a small enclosed 4' X 7' shed attached to the outside of my shop for my 3hp dust collector and 20-gallon vertical compressor. My dust collector will pull from inside the shop and discharge back into the shop to maintain heated/cooled air.

My question is regarding shed ventilation since the 3hp dust collector motor will produce heat and the compressor will as well and I live in Louisiana. Should I install 1 gable vent near the roof or, 2 gable vents near the roof on opposite walls to provide cross-ventilation?

Will either of these solutions be ok for the compressor or should I pipe the intake filters outside? Even though the shed will not be climate controlled other than the vents, locating the filters outside will introduce more humidity to them.

I may be overworking this but would appreciate any advice.

I mounted my clear view dc outside my shop. It's under the eaves in an enclosed box. I have vents to keep it cooler and I haven't had any problems. My compressor is outside too but it doesn't affect the dc. In short - I would put some vents in.

Ned,

I'm assuming here that the filter will go into the room too.. otherwise this doesn't apply:

I'd be hesitant to put my 5hp compressor in with my DC because I want the DC "room" mostly enclosed to reduce noise and the AC generates a lot of heat but expells no air. If you don't use much air or use it for an extended time, this may not be a big issue. The vents would help cool the compressor but will also vent noise and your conditioned air to the outside as well. I'd be tempted to split the room into 2 "rooms", with one for the DC and one for the AC, even if they are small.

Just my $0.02..

Otherwise, if you leave it as it is and you wire the DC to start whenever the AC is running, there won't be an issue.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Ladner View Post
    I've just built a small enclosed 4' X 7' shed attached to the outside of my shop for my 3hp dust collector and 20-gallon vertical compressor. My dust collector will pull from inside the shop and discharge back into the shop to maintain heated/cooled air.

If the DC air is being returned to the shop through an opening (not in a duct) then any heat generated by the motors will be moved into the shop.

My question is regarding shed ventilation since the 3hp dust collector motor will produce heat and the compressor will as well and I live in Louisiana. Should I install 1 gable vent near the roof or, 2 gable vents near the roof on opposite walls to provide cross-ventilation?

If you want air flow in your shed you need one low vent to let in cooler air and one high vent to let hot air out. Note if your dust collectors exhaust is open (through the filter) to the shed and you are just allowing air to flow back to the shop you won't need any external venting when the DC is running. If your DC doesn't run all the time you are running the compressor then you need a second means of ventilating the shed.

Will either of these solutions be ok for the compressor or should I pipe the intake filters outside? Even though the shed will not be climate controlled other than the vents, locating the filters outside will introduce more humidity to them.

Without some means to remove the heat from the motors and compressor from the shed, the temp in the shed will rise. High ambient temps are not good for motors or compressors.

I may be overworking this but would appreciate any advice.

I hope this helps
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute