Thread: Powermatic Sander - Restored and Improved

Powermatic Sander - Restored and Improved

This weekend I finally finished the restoration on a Powermatic 6 inch belt and 12 inch disc sander. It is a Powermatic 30B, and was running a 220V 3 phase motor.

I bought the machine about a year ago. It was a basket case when I got it. I was told the history of the machine was that it was pulled out of a high school vocational shop and stored outside. The guy I bought it from rescued the machine and pulled it apart to restore it. Fortunately for me he quickly decided he didn't have the time and sold it to me. I was still involved in a full restore on a little Delta Homecraft bandsaw so I didn't get to the sander right away. The machine was further disassembled, some new parts were introduced, all rust was removed, and it was primed and painted.

I've had a disc/belt sander before. I've had issues with burning the wood when trying to sand. So I was glad to see this was a 3 phase machine because it allowed me to make it variable speed and convert it to 12OV input with a VFD. This is the first 3 phase I've worked with. It only took 2 calls to the VFD help line to get it up and running. When you look at the pictures, note the lump on the side of the machine. That is the box I made for the VFD since there was no room inside the cabinet to put it. That entire bottom case is filled with a blower and filters for the on board dust collection system with filters and a shaker foot peg.

100_0441.jpg100_0440.jpg100_0438.jpg100_0439.jpg100_0437.jpg

Now I need to decide if I'm going to keep the machine or sell it.
    Wood'N'Scout

Nice Job.

I like to see older abused machinery brought back for another round..

Congrats! You have taken what started out as a very nice machine and made it even better.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Steve,

If this is the machine I am thinking of, please send me the previous owners contact information. He deserves a swift kick in the you know what's...

IIRC, this machine was sold cheap from an auto shop of a high school. The teacher sold it from under me but failed to call me as I made the hour plus long drive to get it!

I guess I am still bitter about this one.

Ben....happy to own a PM30 now! And even happier to have moved South!

PS. Nice looking restoration!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Steve,

If this is the machine I am thinking of, please send me the previous owners contact information. He deserves a swift kick in the you know what's...

IIRC, this machine was sold cheap from an auto shop of a high school. The teacher sold it from under me but failed to call me as I made the hour plus long drive to get it!

I guess I am still bitter about this one.

Ben....happy to own a PM30 now! And even happier to have moved South!

PS. Nice looking restoration!

The person I bought it from is not a teacher. And to be honest I don't know the chain of custody on this machine so I don't think providing the contact information would be benefitial. Thanks for the compliment on the sander. Anyone have an idea on a fair price? If I sell this I would include the belts and mobile base in the sale.
    Wood'N'Scout

Steve

Wow what a fantastic job of restoring a $50 sander....... Truly impressed with your efforts... Enjoy !!!!

I think you ought to keep it for a while and see whether you use it. I use mine a lot.

As for a price, I've never seen a PM belt/disk sander for sale for less than $250 except when the seller didn't know what he had. Heck, I paid that for mine and every bearing was shot. In your case, I'd put a price tag of at least $600 on it and not take a penney less. Or research equivalent machines--a quick check of Amazon shows a Jet for $1100 w/o the on-board dust collection.

Kirk

Thanks for the input. I've been watching these types of machines on eBay and they seem to be averaging with starting prices of $800. Of course who knows what they really sell for!

I believe my machine is fairly unique, because of the variable speed feature. The more I use the VS the more I like it. In fact I'm now considering putting a 3 phase motor on my PM edge sander and running it off another VFD to get variable speed there also.
    Wood'N'Scout

Beautiful job! And besides having virtually a new machine, you have one made from when things like precision and quality really mattered.

You should be absolutely happy with that one. Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Don M