Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highland Hardware bandsaw-tensioner

Highland Hardware bandsaw-tensioner

I didn't know weather to reply to an old thread,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?124463-Iturra-quot-Spinner-3-quot-bandsaw-tensioner

Was reading this thread, so is the tensioner from Highland still holding up OK? Is it nice a stable or does it seem wobbly?
    I was thinking of ordering one.
    Is that the Acme Thread?
    Iturra sells just the Rod and Nut (Acme) for $37.00 with shipping, or the whole thing for $62.00 shipped,
    And Highlands is $54.00 shipped.

Mine is a 1965 Delta, and I can't stand the low tension knob.
    Or was thinking of getting the Iturra Rod and Nut, and try to put the OEM facet knob onto the acme thread rod.
    Not crazy about the Iturra Acme threaded knob being threaded it's entire length.

Here is Iturra's latest PDF if you don't have it. (2010) http://idvwdesign.blogspot.com/2012/...0-catalog.html

Thanks, Tony

People here are crazy over Iturra products.

I've gotten a few upgrade items from lturra - very good operation, very good products.

Having said that - I've had this tensioning crank on my Delta C-frame for 4 - 5 years. Works fine. Am sure the Iturra one works great also.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-14330...saw+tensioning
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Yeah, I looked at the one at Amazon too.
    Then there is this company on line, you can get 3 feet of Acme thread, and 3 Acme Nuts for about $30.00 shipped. But they only have Hex Acme nuts, am waiting for a reply about square acme nuts,
    I'm fooling around with a screw from a C clamp, (3/8X16 not acme) I might get a piece of 3/8" rod welded to that, and turn it down even, did up some kind of crank somewhere. One of the old Delta ball cranks would look good I think.
    The thing nice with this is I could put the ball swivel back on the bottom of the screw part, and that would swivel on the bandsaws casting.
    Again, like the Idea of the Highland Hardware one, as it is not threaded all the way up. (Just for looks, won't matter in how it works. )

A Delta crank Like this, but they always go pretty high.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go for it.

You're overdriving my headlights.........I got a straight-forward, low-end item that works well, but ain't in the star-cruiser class you are looking for.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

If you buy the Highland Hardware one, be sure you use the nut that came with it. I didn't and eventually stripped the threads on the shaft. I have a Ridgid bandsaw so that may be different than your Delta but forewarned is forearmed.

OK, The Highland Hardware one in Acme Thread, Right?

speaking of Ridgid bandsaw, I just put a tension spring on the delta from a Ridgid bandsaw.
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 08-14-2012 at 7:59 PM.

Can I see pictures of the tension spring?

Spring.jpgHere is the one from e bay,( Where I got it)
    If you need better ones, let me know.
    The total length was 2 7/8", and looked to be the same thickness as my old delta one.
    The Old delta spring had compressed down to 2 1/4" -2 3/8".

10. What do you mean better ones? How much did you get those from ebay?

Oh, sorry, I meant better picture, I paid about $5.00 with shipping, it looked almost new.
    I only got the one spring,
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Tony

McMaster sells square acme nuts. And threaded rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    McMaster sells square acme nuts. And threaded rod.
    Thanks, that "Metal by The Foot "company I think was the name of it, they never got back to me. I'll check out mcMaster, I'll bet by the time I pay mc master, and with shipping, I'll be up to the Iturra price.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3169/=ivpda1
    The site is down, found this PDF, cant find the rod yet, but these square nuts are nice sounding, they are brass. 3/8" X 12 3/4" square, by 3/8" thick.
    What is there shipping like?

The acme thread, 3/8" X 12 TPI Brass nut is Only $5.50, (Edit, 5.94 each) and they have "Plain Steel" acme thread, 3/8" X 12 TPI is only $5.00 for a 3 foot piece,
    Do you think the "plain Steel is strong enough?
    Depending on how the shipping is, I might go with this.

Edit
    So 3 foot plain steel, $5.00, and 2 Acme nuts, $11.88, = $16.88,
    But I can't find a shipping estimate. Guessing around $11.00
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 08-16-2012 at 9:28 PM.