Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best shoes for standing in the shop?

I used to get extreme foot pain after the holidays.
    I finally found the culprit - my body doesn't like diet sodas. I always had several 12 packs left over when all the company leaves. I don't remember how I figured this out, but that pain is gone now.
    Now with no diet soda and the right shoes, no foot pain. Go figure !
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I've been using Dr. Scholl's shoes and sneakers for years for my everyday, around the shop/office shoe. It's the only thing I can find that's comfortable and provides support. Let me guess....you have a very wide foot right at your toes, right? You should see what it's like trying t find a bicycle shoe that fits. I don't find the Dr. Scholls last long, but at $20 or $25 a pair, who cares?

I don't generally shop at walmart, but I bought a couple of pairs of boots there over 5 years ago. They're still going strong, and they're comfortable enough to wear all day. Check out their selection of boots, Brian. I think they're made in India. Wherever they're made they are (or were) a great deal and the wide was designed for an actual wide foot.
    You got it John. When I fit an average shoe to my wide feet, it is too long and the bend in the shoe doesn't fit the bend in my foot.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post
    I work in a shop with a concrete floor all day everyday. Ive tried everything, including custom orthodics. I was at the point that I thought I was going to have to quit. I found that the shoes with the rocker bottom, like Skecher Shapeups work best for me. They take the pressure off the balls of my feet, which pain me the most, and are easier on my back. I get a new pair about every 6 months cause they eventually loose their cusion All I can say is they work for me. You can get them for around 70 bucks on Amazon..
    +1 for the "Shapeups". I was plagued with sore heals. Limped around for a year in pain. Went to a foot doctor, had cordizone shot in my heal. Made casts of my feet and had special inserts made ($300) they killed my feet. Went to my GP for annual physical and he said try a pair of Shapeups. I did and problem solved! I wear them most the time now. Cons: my wife says I walk like a nerd! and they take a little getting use to. Pros: they worked to cure my "sore heal" and I lose weight when I wear them!!
    "We the People ........"

I also bought a pair of Crocs. The ones without holes in the front. But I still get sawdust and chips in them. $29 at the amazing woman. I love them. I wear them most of the time. They seem comfortable, but with neuropathy it's hard to tell. My legs feel better after spending several hours on the concrete.
    Paul

danner boots

Danner boots.... with the orthotic insert.

Red wings are fine as are many other quality made boots, but Danner boots are my favorite.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I mostly use some Crocs ... yes they were expensive, the LOML got them at a yard sale for just under $1.

They do have the holes, and they tend to fill up with my turning chips, but they are comfy, dont hurt my back. I also have some rubber mats in front of my table saw, lathe, and bandsaw.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I looked at the Crocs web page, and although they seem to imply that 3 widths are available, I was unable to find width sizing on any shoe. As I have an extremely narrow foot, I am afraid I might just walk out of these, especially since I was hoping to get slip-ons as my European wife really likes for me to remove my shoes every time I come into the house. I ended up getting a pair of SAS as they come in narrow and very narrow. I will report back on them after I have formed an opinion.

Thanks for all the ideas here. I am also going to try some mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitlow View Post
    Check out Red Wings if you have one nearby. They have a large selection of sizes and styles. They also can do the custom fit insoles. If I wear sneakers, I end the day with a sore back. My Red Wings took care of that.
    Plus they are the most winning hockey team in the past two decades! Go Wings!

Crocs? I could hardly think of a worse shoe. They feel like a sweaty plastic bag which collects sawdust, and have no support and zero protection (drop a board or chisel and you are out of luck)

Light weight hiking shoes for me. I like small matts which can be thrown to areas you are standing for awhile.

One of the best things I've added to the shop is a lightweight aluminum/plastic stool. Why stand when you can sit.