Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best shoes for standing in the shop?

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

Best shoes for standing in the shop?

Just wondering what people think are the best shoes for long periods of standing on a concrete floor in your shop? I have pretty narrow feet which limits my choices quite a bit. By the end of a long Saturday or Sunday out in the garage/shop (or in the garden if the same pair of shoes are appropriate) my feet are beyond tired, the bottom of the arches are downright sore and my legs up to the knee are pretty achy as well. Monday through Friday I sit at a desk :-( and the feet don't take much abuse.

James

running shoes for me.

You need mats, James. Concrete floors are incredibly hard on your body, from your feet up to your back, and I've not found a shoe yet that gives proper support AND can properly cushion from the hard floor. The two requirements are almost at odds with each other. You need a good stiff shoe with proper support, and then you need something to remove the edge from the concrete. A shoe built like that wouldn't last 5 minutes in the real world, and I don't know of anything but custom orthotics that will give you what you want for a strictly footwear solution

I find it is not so much the shoe that matters as much as the insole. Both my wife and I have high arches and we swear by SOLE insoles...

http://www.yoursole.com/us

I have various models of theirs in my casual shoes, my running shoes, and also my cycling shoes. Also, they make an exellent flip-flop that we pretty much live in during the summer months.

Maybe this will help,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Boots..
    Nice heavy boots w/nice thick soles.
    & socks - don't forget the socks.

I'm guilty as sin in that respect. Since I retired last August, I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn socks.....it's the old "hippie" in me..

This topic comes up so often it almost needs it's own forum,BTW.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Boots..
    Nice heavy boots w/nice thick soles.
    & socks - don't forget the socks.

I'm guilty as sin in that respect. Since I retired last August, I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn socks.....it's the old "hippie" in me..

This topic comes up so often it almost needs it's own forum,BTW.
    Rich, you're right. I hadn't even noticed the current thread under workshops when I posted this last night.

James

Check out Red Wings if you have one nearby. They have a large selection of sizes and styles. They also can do the custom fit insoles. If I wear sneakers, I end the day with a sore back. My Red Wings took care of that.

I work in a shop with a concrete floor all day everyday. Ive tried everything, including custom orthodics. I was at the point that I thought I was going to have to quit. I found that the shoes with the rocker bottom, like Skecher Shapeups work best for me. They take the pressure off the balls of my feet, which pain me the most, and are easier on my back. I get a new pair about every 6 months cause they eventually loose their cusion All I can say is they work for me. You can get them for around 70 bucks on Amazon..
    Last edited by Barry Richardson; 08-14-2012 at 12:58 AM.

I worked 20 years on concrete floors as a mechanic. I don't think I could have done it without top-quality boots and top-quality wool socks.

For shoes, I say "Doc Martins". Every pair I've owned felt broken-in right out of the box. Great support. Heavenly insoles.

After 34 years on concrete, I've come to love the Rockport World Tour Classic. Very light which I feel is a huge bonus when walking for 8 hours a day although very supportive. That's the ticket for me with an old ankle injury and a bum knee. Have (3) pairs in rotation, one old pair for working in the yard, one for general everyday use and one nice pair for dinner with the wife, events, etc. Buy one pair a year. Don't skimp on socks, amazing how good your feet will feel with good supportive ones.
    Mac

Steel shanks work for me
    J Load

I like Red wings steel toed as I do a lot of lifting heavy stuff. I get my Red wings from a dealer in Amish country they are a lot cheaper than the Red Wing store I pay about $120 for the same boot as the store sells for $185

This may seem like a cop out answer, but anything that you have broken in for a long time, and that you find comfortable!

I have a pair of Nike SB Dunk hightops. Yes, they were purchased for fashion, and are by no means a work shoe, but they keep my feet extremely happy after a day of working on concrete, that by the end of the day I forget to even take them off.

I also have a pair of fairly rugged LL Bean hiking shoes that do quite well.

Would be nice to have mats, though!

I have been wearing Keen shoes for the past 4 years - now into my second pair. They are sneaker type shoes that are too stiff for basketball or running but provide great comfort, support and stability for standing on my feet all day. I used to wear Merrells which are my favorite woods and/or hiking shoes but pretty inadequate in the shop. The Keens are great. I'm pretty sure they are this model though the description does not suggest that they would be good for standing they are better for standing than for hiking http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/pr...shadow!picante
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I used Red Wing Irish Setters, the American version for about 30 years until they reached $240 a pair. I tried a bunch and found one that is better than Wings. Belleville boot company makes boots for the army, and the hot weather desert boot is awesome. I use gell insoles and thin nylon/spandex support socks and my feet feel great. They have great ankle support, something I need. $115 a pair and the last as long as anything lasts for me.

Larry