Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New MM20 Bandsaw just got here!

New MM20 Bandsaw just got here!

I know some people here happen to have one or two of them ... MM ships them laying on their spine. Can a couple of guys stand this beast up or should I wait until the weekend and borrow my dad's engine hoist? Once she's up, the rest should be pretty easy going.

Thoughts, pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Rodriquez View Post
    I know some people here happen to have one or two of them ... MM ships them laying on their spine. Can a couple of guys stand this beast up or should I wait until the weekend and borrow my dad's engine hoist? Once she's up, the rest should be pretty easy going.

Thoughts, pointers?
    I'll bet you the base doesn't fit between the hoist's legs. Measure it very carefully if you decide to go this way as it can be quite a bit of work to deal with it once it's off the ground and hanging directly over the legs DAMHIKT.

Congrats! That is interesting as my MM-16 shipped upright on 2 pallets (one stack on another) and then crated.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Okay, I did get the MM20 out of the crate and stood her up. I must say, it was pretty heavy but it was nothing two guys and my 110 lb wife couldn't handle. I was rather surprised to see that they now ship with a Carter Micro-Precision Model 20 guide, for the upper, and a Micro-Precision Model 30 guide for the lower. Does anyone have any feedback on these guides? I was actually looking forward to the Euro-guides...

Congrats on the new saw! I recently picked up a used MM20 and transported it on its spine to my shop and was able to get it out of the trailer and get it standing on my own using a come along, if the machine was not so well balanced it would have been impossible alone. Would like to hear about your use of the Carter guides once you are up and running and maybe Erik is lurking and can inform us if MM is doing alway with the euro guide system.

Good to hear, Phil. Give me a call if you need any help on the setup. Mother-in-Law is in town for the weekend, so I am doing chaperone/chauffer duties but will have my phone with me.

James, you now officially know more about MM product than I do, LOL. I knew that the factory would be shipping the S-Series (new designation for the MM's) with the Carter guides from now on but as is usual, the rep is the last to hear anything, so had no idea when that was going to occur. Could've been the next container, could've been 2013. Good to hear the switchover is in production. I have a couple of guys who are saying, "I'll wait for the Carters". Now, I can call and put them on the stove, ha.

To answer your question as to "why", my guess would be that it was a supply-side issue which dictated the change. That's typically how these things work. As folks probably already know, bandsaw mfrs. don't manufacture things like guides, knobs and levers, electrical parts, and so on. You source those out. I know that we have gone through several "versions" of the Euro-style guides during the life of the MM's and if I were to guess, they were more than likely sourced from different mfrs. It is possible, for example, that the most recent mfr of Euro-guides either hiked their prices or perhaps disc'oed that particular guide, thus forcing Centauro to look at other options.

Phil, you'll have to let me know how you like those guides. Never personally used them, so it will be good to get some user feedback.

Thanks,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Here are the pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

The "retro" look! Used to seeing the Zefyrs on the old SCMI Centauros and yellow-colored S45's.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Congrats for a new saw! And you those good looking guides. When will you start it running?

Congrats!
    I paid good money to upgrade my MM16 with Carter guides. I did not like the Euro guides at all.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce,
    Did you get the same type of Carter guides?

Phillip, the Carter's look a little different from what I can tell from your pics.
    I took these right after install. I have since made a new bottom bracket to bring the lower guide up under the table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Congrats on that fine saw,
    and nice car BTW (I'm surprised no one has commented so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Phillip, the Carter's look a little different from what I can tell from your pics.
    I took these right after install. I have since made a new bottom bracket to bring the lower guide up under the table.
    Guides?... Look at that throatplate!

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Thanks. It is a Lotus Elise SC.
    Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Congrats on that fine saw,
    and nice car BTW (I'm surprised no one has commented so far).