Thread: Power option for my DC-380 15" Delta Planer

Power option for my DC-380 15" Delta Planer

Have a DC-380 with a dead 3hp single phase motor and replacement motors are at a minimum $300+. Rebuilding seams to be more expensive.

Found a 3 phase motor for $50.00 and thinking that I could get a VFD for it.
    Is there any advantage to this or am I just trying to be too cheap?
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

I see no harm in going three phase if there is a cost savings. I figure it would negatively affect resale value, but that may be of little concern.

Hi, There are a few options, one of which of course is a new 3 HP single phase motor, or a 2 HP single phase motor. (Many 15 inch planers were 2 HP).

The third option as you've indicated is a VFD, which is of no significance for a planer as you won't run it at a different speed.

I would just replace the motor with a new single phase motor...........Rod.

I prefer three phase but don't think you will save any $$. I'd also check ebay and CL for a used TC frame motor. Dave

My 380 came with a 2.0 HP motor, FYI.

I was pretty sure that the older ones came with a 2hp motor. Motor I was looking at turn out to be a bust.

The search continues.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Not sure how far you took the motor apart to determine it was dead, but those delta motors may have brushes or be brushless. I would sure check out the brushes first, if it has them. Dust and debris are often culprits too. Otherwise, it does look like there are no deals on a new motor for less than $300, unless a used one can be found.

Grizzly used to make a top mounted motor version of the four post 15" planer. Check to see what they get for a motor. Remember you can buy bushings to adapt sheaves to different shaft sizes and easily fabricate a mounting plate. Watch CL for a generic four poster that only has a good motor.

There was no motor with it when I bought it. I tracked it down at a repair shop. the previous owner never picked it up after he got a quote to rebuild.

Grizzly is one option, little over $300 for the motor and another $100.00 for the Mag starter

Keeping my eye on CL and Fleebay for other options.

Have a 3hp Unisaw motor that is brand new, even considering making up a mounting bracket for it.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

IMPO,
    I would opt for a 3hp/3ph motor. 3 phase runs more efficient. Here are some things to consider. With a VFD you have several options and peramiters you can run on a VFD . Ramp up, ramp down,soft start,dynamic breaking, ...I could go on and on.....

My point is they use less energy and run your motor more efficiently.....sensorless vector drives- usually a little more money...I am partial to Yaskawa drives but there are many out there.

A single phase motor runs on 2 poles, not 3, there is either a capacitor or a centrifugal clutch that is only used when starting the motor and therefore it does not keep a constant 3 pole voltage supplied.

3ph motors are extremely easy to work on, and give you constant power unlike single ph motors. All of my machinery operates off of VFD's mounted on every machine and once you step into the technology of 3ph motors and VFD's more than likely you won't go back to single phase if you can help it. The other good side is the replacements for 3ph motors and less expensive.....

If you do go the VFD route, resale will be a plus with a VFD........plug and play....

Just my opinion so take what you want from it and I hope all goes well no mater what you choose for a motor.

Best of luck,

B,
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 08-19-2012 at 3:23 PM.

Brian,

I agree with the benefits of the 3ph motors. Really it's a matter of which I can find first and at what cost.

I have a wanted ad on the local CL for a 3ph 3hp motor, will see if that brings anything.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

If you go 2hp .. I would make sure it has an overload or you use a magnetic starter with thermal overload .. 2hp will work but it would be pretty easy to overload.

I have a buddy who owns the Delta with the 3hp .. Delta shipped them back in the day with a basic on-off switch .. He did a big smooth fascia board job .. 2x8 and 2x10 .. ran the planer all afternoon and fried the motor ..

A $100 magnetic starter would have probably saved the motor ..

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooper2 View Post
    There was no motor with it when I bought it. I tracked it down at a repair shop. the previous owner never picked it up after he got a quote to rebuild.

Grizzly is one option, little over $300 for the motor and another $100.00 for the Mag starter

Keeping my eye on CL and Fleebay for other options.

Have a 3hp Unisaw motor that is brand new, even considering making up a mounting bracket for it.
    If you have or have access to metal working tools and aren't too fussy about what it looks like that'd probably be the cheapest route. Run it 'til you find a motor you like at a price you like. I don't know that Unisaw motors are reversible. Is direction of rotation correct?
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-20-2012 at 8:05 AM.

Not sure of the direction of either at this point, but I just scored a 3hp 3ph Dayton motor that looks like it will bolt rite up.

Will start the search for a VFD after I get all the specs on the motor. One problem that will have to be worked out is there are six wires coming out of the motor that are not connected to anything. Guess I will have to research that a bit.

Open to suggestions for a VFD supplier.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Thumbs up

Is it a 220/440 doal voltage....I'm assuming it is based on the amount of leads that are in the trunk....Is there a diagram in the enclosure , check the manufacturers web site or google the question with the make and model number...you'll find your answer......

If you want a new VFD ,

Here are a few, I have never used them but I know many other of my fellow OWWM associates used them with positive results.

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/?gcli...FUdN4Aodtk4ANg

http://www.factorymation.com/

You can check the bay out and maybe CL for used VFD's .......

Let us know how you make out and I hope all goes well for you!

Thumbs up,

B,