Thread: Problem with Rikon 70-050vs banjo

Problem with Rikon 70-050vs banjo

I recently purchased one of these lathes and it is pretty kool for my purposes. It does need more power, but that is a different topic. This is a second lathe, the first being one of the old Delta Iron Bed 14" lathes.

But, I can't get the banjo to stay tight. Whenever I do try to tighten it down, there is some springback in the handle. It "seems" to be ok and I can use it for a few minutes, but then it will come loose. All of the parts are clean and appear to be in good shape. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to resolve this before I contact Rikon.

Thanks,

Wayne

Underneath side of your bed rails where the Banjo travels------ make sure that is clean. The arm that you use to engage the banjo lock---- it should not be straight but have a arch????????????
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

You may have to adjust the nut on the bottom of it. That's what I had to do to mine.

I got these for my midi lathe and it stopped the problems. Also had them on the Rikon midi before I sold it. Stops the creeps.

http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart....category_id=64
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 08-18-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

put a thin rubber washer under your bed..
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks for the replies everyone. All parts related to the banjo are clean. Bed rails top and bottom, bottom of the banjo, the "cam shaft" and the parts that connect to it are all clean. At least they are until I use the thing and then there is sawdust and shavings all over the entire 3-car garage (How does that happen?). The locking shaft is clean and it is straight.

I did adjust the locking nut on the bottom and now I can at least get it to lock down. I had to loosen it to the point where the lever itself is straight down when locked, but at least it works for now. Not a permanent solution but for now . . .

As for the monster t-nuts, that looks like a great idea and I have some steel plate around here that I can fabricate one from. That is now on my "to-do" list. This looks like it will help, but I'm still skeptical. It seems to me like the part that the cam shaft goes through might be machined a little better so I may look into that as well.

Lastly, the thin rubber washer under the bed would keep my wife from sleeping. :-) (Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself.)

Thanks again,

Wayne

Now that's funny-----------------thanks
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---