Thread: Please Help me on picking out some tools!!! Need SMC WISDOM!!

Please Help me on picking out some tools!!! Need SMC WISDOM!!

I am more of a neanderthal woodworker usually but I have always loved turning, ive just never been REALLY good at it. I have only turned spindles before and my interests have always been in turning things like chisel handles, other tools handles, mallets, and gifty things like salt shakers and gardening tools. ANYWAY, here is the thing, ALL of my neandertools are in storage, and im living in an apartment for the next 2-3 months until my house is finished being built... the only tool I can get to at the front of the unit is my JET mini lathe. I have a Menards set of turning tools but those are at the back of the unit and its impossible to get to them... so my question to you is what are a good set of tools that are of good quality that I can buy to get started turning some chisel handles and such on the deck of my apartment. Again, I don't want value tools or so-so tools, I wanna but once and buy right. My thought is i'd rather buy 2 or 3 tools that I can turn the few simple spindles I want to turn for the next 2-3 months and then later on down the road I will of course buy more tools as I need them... I have heard over and over again NOT to buy starter sets... and I agree with that, it held true for me when it came to high end chisels and other things so again, my question to you is what brand, and what 2-3 tools to get to turn some simple spindles on my mini lathe... I might also add that I dont plan to own just a mini lathe forever, id like a nice full size lathe someday sooner or later so i dont think mini tools are the way to go... I have a cheap set of mini tools made by delta that was like 100 bucks at woodcraft... again I can't get to those either though.

Ok I will stop rambling now, I appreciate any wisdom you guys can share with me!! Thanks ahead of time! ​

I would stay away from Mini tools starting out -------------- look at someone like Packard Woods. Buy a 3 piece set for that same $100.00 and get several years of use from them.
    Lots of folks buy Harbour Frieght lathe tools and seen to be happy with them---even less money.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

If you want the best quality, three brands that get consistently great reviews here are Thompson, D-Way and Glaser. I have the Thompson and Glaser and can vouch for them. I'll let someone who does more spindle work advise you on which ones you need.

I bought this set 7 years ago and still use most of them today. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html Good starter set and covers the bases.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'll second the recommendation for a set of Benjamin's Best. They are actually decent quality steel for the price. I've had very similar set since I began turning a year or so back and still use many of them regularly. They will hold an edge much longer than other tools in that price range and really have all the grinds you need for learning. Better to learn to turn and sharper on cheaper tools before you take a step up.

I'm tempted on the benjamins best sets, and was 2 years or so ago when I was learning to turn for the first time... Like I said, I have done a fair bit of turning though, and do own a cheap menards set that "works" .... which is kinda why I was hoping not to buy another cheap set... which I have read a few reviews and understand the benjamins best aren't bad and definitely are NOT as poor of a quality as the tools I own from menards... I just would rather buy once and buy right... I have been looking at the d-way, thompson and glaser tools... and have a few questions... again hoping to find someone who can recommend which few tools I should be getting... like 3/8 or 1/2 spindle gouge, scrapers, roughing gouges, etc... which tools will I need to get to get going on some turning now... Its been awhile since I've even seen my cheapo tools and so I couldn't even tell you what I have or what I used when I did use them... honestly.... its been over 8 months since I've had a woodshop...

ok so the 2 questions are ... .which tools to get if I were to get say 3 or 4... and the 2nd question, they all seem to come un-handled... which is a good handle to buy.... or what ones to most people use? I see that d-way sells one that looks nice... but are there other handles people prefer? thanks again.

James, Do yourself and your turning career a big favor and go get some lessons from an established pro/school. I fumbled for 10 years and then finally woke up at Arrowmont one day and my life became alive! Stop worrying about the tools you need and get some professional help. Philip
    Philip

Used properly, any tool you buy will give you vitrualy the same results. Mini sets are really only helpful with "mini" turnings...but I do pens with a 3/8" Thompson on a Monster handle. Once you learn proper application of spindle and bowl gouges, skews and scrapers...you can do whatever you like with cheapo's or bank breakers.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

James, it seems to me that you and I are in the same boat, I am just learning to turn wood and the only thing that I've been sucessful with so far is a couple of pens. I blame not having turned anything else on not having the proper or best tools, but, it really is because I don't know what I'm doing and am a bit worried of getting injured. What Philip Duffy has suggested is about the best info you've been given here so far, it is what I am waiting to do with an experienced turner. The lessons will not cost much, the gentleman enjoys his time in the shop and passing on his knowledge, so that they might share what they've learned from him on to others. Once I have taken a few classes, I hope to be to turn something other then a pen with confidence. No matter what the cost I think that it is money well spent, plus it gets me in front of the lathe turning what I want. Give it a thought, it might be what you really need. I know it is what I need but wouldn't admit to needing it earlier, I think it is or was that pride thing again and wanting to be able to say that I was self taught. As for what brand of or kind of tools to purchase, why not let the person who you get the lessons from help you out with that.
    Len

Stop worrying about the tools you need and get some professional help. Philip

Amen, preacher. The best advice you will get here is to take some lessons. Everything else will make perfect sense.....after the lessons.

Enjoy the slope, it is steep, fast and great fun.

All the best,

Tom, in Douglasville, forever grateful for my lessons from Bill Barry, my hero, at the Houston (Gulfcoast Woodturners) club.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Getting some instruction is great advice.

Another thing to figure out is what you want to turn, if only initially. Then get the tool(s) you need. You need far fewer than some discussions may lead you to believe. Your instructor should be able to give you good advice. Some of that advice should include all the tools you do NOT need, especially at first. You also need to know how to sharpen the tools -- also best learned from someone who knows.

Finally, all the instruction (whether in-person or DVD) and finest tools are useless without practice/experience. Repetition is crucial. There is no substitute for experience. I noticed that somewhere around bowl #40, suddenly things seemed different.

I just have a few of Doug Thompson's tools, IMHO the best bang for the buck. I chose to buy just a few quality tools in the beginning and work my way up as I needed them. Other than a couple of parting tools, I've only bought one other gouge and that was a 1 1/2" Spindle Roughing Gouge, it's super nice to have and I would be hard pressed to be without it now, but I got along without it for a long time. Other than that I haven't had to buy anymore gouges simply because I can do anything I want with what I have. If I had to only pick a few, I'd personally choose a 1/2" spindle gouge, a 3/8" spindle gouge, 1/4" detail gouge, and a 5/8" V-shaped bowl gouge. (A skew is nice too, but you have to learn to use it.)

There's nothing wrong with buying a set of Benjamin's Best, or any other starter set, I just knew in the long run I would be replacing them with higher quality tools, so I might as well just start with the higher quality ones to begin with.

I think there is a tendency in this art is to buy every new "miracle" gadget out there, when it really means that you are spending less time on traditional tools. This only ends up shortchanging the turner because they rely on something that is easy, instead of learning the most fundamental aspects of turning. In the long run you will realize that you don't really need 90% of that stuff. (some of that stuff sure is great though! I admit )
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein