Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the less expensive bandsaw that can do this?

What's the less expensive bandsaw that can do this?

I don't know how many saws have a rotatable table, however if I need to adjust for drift on my saw (rare) I just adjust the blade tracking slightly...........Rod.

That's a setup issue. There shouldn't be an actual "need" for a gizmo like that. Just something else to induce inaccuracy into the cutting process.
    Just my personal opinion, of course.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Wow...that's borderline Rube Goldbergesque. The only thing missing is the monkey pedaling the bicycle when it sees the banana.

Many trunnions have enough play in the holes to allow for enough adjustment to get the table square to the blade.

So any bandsaw ...setup properly?......can do it?

Looking at the guides set poorly, I'm not surprised at the drift.
    I don't see the need for another after market doohickey to correct improper tool alignment. Oh well......
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cummins View Post
    So any bandsaw ...setup properly?......can do it?
    I'm not sure what you're asking, Jerry. Do what? I guess you're not talking about the drift adjustment but something else? All I saw was that fancy, laser guided drift adjustment thingy, and then a bandsaw cutting wood.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking, Jerry. Do what? I guess you're not talking about the drift adjustment but something else? All I saw was that fancy, laser guided drift adjustment thingy, and then a bandsaw cutting wood.

What I saw in the video was a bandsaw that cut very narrow strips and cut very straight. The purpose of the post isn't anything to do with the laser or anything else about the options on the saw...but how it cut.

I don't have a bandsaw now...I moved from Texas to southern Illinois and sold all of my old power tools. I'd like to get another...but I had a run of the mill Craftsman that you see everywhere, and I tried and tried to make that thing cut straight...using a fence....and I had no luck at all.

So asked another way, how much money does it take to get a bandsaw that can make cuts like that?....or is it completely how the saw is setup?

It takes a good setup & a quality blade. In the past I have owned a 1970s Craftsman, 14" Deltas, Mini Max MM20. I now I have Grizzly 514X. I have made those types of cuts with all them.

Almost any saw can be setup to cut well given an experienced user and the right blade. That said, a G0555 is a pretty standard first saw, and it can be setup to perform pretty well.

Any cheap bandsaw can resaw .017" Business card thickness

If you tune it up properly and use the right blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cummins View Post
    So asked another way, how much money does it take to get a bandsaw that can make cuts like that?....or is it completely how the saw is setup?
    It doesn't cost anything, except a proper setup.
    People ask every day about drift and cupped cuts. I have a 1966 Delta 14" w/riser that I can re-saw 12" with no problems. It's all in the setup and blade.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    It doesn't cost anything, except a proper setup.
    People ask every day about drift and cupped cuts. I have a 1966 Delta 14" w/riser that I can re-saw 12" with no problems. It's all in the setup and blade.
    I second that.....

B,

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hsieh View Post
    Any cheap bandsaw can resaw .017" Business card thickness

If you tune it up properly and use the right blade.
    What's the right blade? different for different saws?

I'm on the look out for a decent bandsaw...at a decent price. Kind of have an idea, and think I'll know the deal when I see it. I did get the Craftsman cutting decent, and that was a number of years ago, but not like in the video. Back then the internet and forums like this wasn't available to help sort out tuning issues like I had, you had to buy books and read. I do remember I tied everything I could think of including new tires, and cutting straight...WITH THE FENCE...just would not work.