Thread: Gast vac pump questions

Gast vac pump questions

I have acquired a Gast diaphragm vacuum pump that I plan to use to make a vacuum chucking system with. Problem is I am not sure and have not been able to locate anything to tell me how this should be wired or plumbed. I have never wired anything with a starting capacitor so I could use some advise on that, which wires to the capacitor (I can't see there is a difference to the capacitor connections), and how does the power source wire in.

Second question is regarding the plumbing connections. There are four, looks like 1/8 in. female connection points. I have seen pictures where the two stages get hooked together with tubing, one of the orifices gets a filter and the other the connection to the vacuum tubing. On the top of the pump there are "V"s which I assume indicate air flow. My logic tells me I want to put the vacuum connection at the port that indicates the open end of the "V". Is that correct?

Actually I think is I can get it wired so that it will operate I will be able to figure out the plumbing but if the above seems wrong please let me know. Thanks for any help you can render. Here is a photo of what I am looking at.
    100_3800-640x640.JPG

The 'V' cuts do indeed indicate flow. From the picture, the orange plug would be the end connected to the lathe chuck. Jumper the opposite port to the second cylinder (on back side of picture), last port is exhaust. The flow will go in a 'U' pattern when complete. There should be a wiring diagram somewhere on the motor.
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

Thanks Jeff for affirming the air flow. What I really need is info on wiring the pump as there is no wiring diagram on the pump. The three wires out of the motor are black, white and orange. I have no idea which of these should go to the capacitor and which should go to the incoming power. This is a 110 volt motor. If anyone has a wiring diagram or can tell me which wires should go where I'd really appreciate it. David

Gast has a pretty good customer service department. Might give them a call with the numbers off the pump.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Here is a diagram that should work.

vac_schem.png

Thanks again Jeff. I took Bob's advise and e-mailed Gast and they sent me exactly what I was after. In case anyone else ever needs it here it is.
    image001.png

Glad you got it figured out.