Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AdvanTech sub floor installation

AdvanTech sub floor installation

The outbuilding I am converting to a shop has a concrete slab. I plan on putting down hardwood on half of the building. Instead of using sleepers I want to attach the subfloor directly to the concrete. The concrete remains dry but we do have a high water table. The manufacturer recommends 6 mil poly glued to the concrete with the AdvanTech then attached using fasteners driven into the concrete. I am reluctant to do that for fear I will be opening channels for water to come up through the concrete. Could I not skip the poly and use waterproof adhesive to attach the AdvanTech directly to the concrete?

Seal a square of poly to the concrete. If it gets damp don't use wood on the floor! Usually concrete and wood aren't a good match.

I used a vapor barrier called Delta-FL. It also provides a little bounce to the floor...easier on the knees and back. I have a thread here if you are interested http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=delta-FL

George, thanks for the link. I will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rossman View Post
    George, thanks for the link. I will look into it.
    It's really great stuff. Also acts well as a thermal break keeping my floor warm in the winter. Probably not as big a deal in KY, but the concrete in below zero temperatures we get in northern WI would never heat up.

Tom,

I use Delta-Fl or Armtec Platon when installing flooring on concrete slabs.

http://www.armtec.com/en-ca/products...-flooring.aspx

http://www.deltams.ca/deltafl_deltafl.htm

For a shop, or a floor that will have heavy objects on it, I cover it with OSB. The Armtec is a little cheaper per sqft but only comes in 426sqft rolls. The Delta-Fl is more supple/easier to install, and comes in different size rolls. So, depending on your square footage, Delta-Fl may be cheaper. These products not only provide a vapour barrier, but elevate your subfloor 3/8" which protects against minor flooding and keeps your flooring at room temperature, so it's nice to walk on.

C

Clint,

The shop is divided into two halves. The machines will be on the concrete half and the half I plan on using wood flooring will have benches and such. I don't expect to have anything really heavy on the hardwood side.

When they put a hardwood floor in for a gymnasium, they use rubber blocks between the sheeting and concrete. Creates a gap, acts as a cushion. Why not for a shop too?

+1 for Delta FL. Following George's expereince, I used Delta FL over the new concrete floor. The Delta FL folks advised it will accomodate our heaviest machine (850 lb jointer). When that jointer is moved into the new shop, it will be sitting on Kellent vibration isolation pads. The ceiling height for the shop is about 7'-6" so we went to Kahrs floating engineered hardwood floor, with no OSB or plywood. Got a good deal on the Kahrs - it was left over from a large condo installation job.

We also used the Delta FL and Kahrs on a portion of our existing 40-year old concrete garage floor.

Jim

Tom

One more solution is to bypass the subfloor altogether.
    Put down the plastic barrier and use Elastilon for the floor. There is no direct connect to the concrete anywhere. The floor floats on top of the Elastilon. The Elastilon floats on top of the floor.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rossman View Post
    Clint,

The shop is divided into two halves. The machines will be on the concrete half and the half I plan on using wood flooring will have benches and such. I don't expect to have anything really heavy on the hardwood side.
    I went kind of the opposite. 2/3 of my shop has the Delta-FL and hardwood flooring. That's where my machines and bench are. The 1/3 left concrete only is where my wood rack, dust collector, etc. is. I will be doing things like assembly and glue-up there also. I want the hardwood where I will be spending the majority of my time on my feet...around the machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Olver View Post
    Tom,

I use Delta-Fl or Armtec Platon when installing flooring on concrete slabs.

http://www.armtec.com/en-ca/products...-flooring.aspx

http://www.deltams.ca/deltafl_deltafl.htm

For a shop, or a floor that will have heavy objects on it, I cover it with OSB. The Armtec is a little cheaper per sqft but only comes in 426sqft rolls. The Delta-Fl is more supple/easier to install, and comes in different size rolls. So, depending on your square footage, Delta-Fl may be cheaper. These products not only provide a vapour barrier, but elevate your subfloor 3/8" which protects against minor flooding and keeps your flooring at room temperature, so it's nice to walk on.

C
    That's how I'd approach it. Just T&G the ends of the advantec and glue it together and let it float.
    Building Inspector, CBO

Thanks to everyone for your ideas. As always, folks here have great ideas and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot wolf View Post
    That's how I'd approach it. Just T&G the ends of the advantec and glue it together and let it float.
    That's how I did my shop. Concrete - Armtec Platon - T&G OSB glued - underlay - click laminate. About a buck a sqft, warm, soft, easy to clean.

C
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Clint Olver; 08-24-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Clint, how does the laminate hold up to the heavy rolling machines? I am considering this, but worried about my TS, jointer and such causing dents when I roll them around.