Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took the big step

Took the big step

Well I dove in just orderd a cnc router the one from my earleyer post. Should be here end of week. Wish this thread was as active as the turners thread I'll need advice not knowing what I'm doing.

You will find these folks very helpful----------- what did you buy????????
    Last edited by Gary Max; 08-20-2012 at 8:02 PM.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

cncconverison.com
    This fully 4 axis cnc router will make a great addition to any home shop or business.
    It features precision ground, ball screws and ball nuts (c7 )
    coupled to 10 micro-stepping drives g540 .
    MACH3 is already set, so we sell our kit ready to go

CNC ROUTER MACHINE
    High-precision Ballscrew
    Q16mm Pitch 5mm (C7)

Supported Linear Rails
    for Y X and Z
    6 x linear SBR20mm
    6 Supported rails
    Linear bearing slide
    12pcs SBR20UU Bearing Blocks

Aluminum plate thickness
    1/2 inches and 3/4 inches
    Mic 6 Precision Machined Cast Aluminium Plate

2.2 KW WATER-COOLING SPINDLE MOTOR
    SPEED: 0-24000 R/min
    Collet: ER11
    Water pump for the spindle
    You will simply need to add a bucket

Coolant system
    You will simply need to add a bucket
    4 axis Cnc Driver
    GECKO540
    Power Supply
    Can be used in all countries of the world, power is the input voltage 110v --- 240v AC
    The complete package will include the cnc router , PC computer, 17" lcd screen.
    G540 Software Configuration File (XML) for mach3 ready to work (all set now)

Stepper Motor
    Z axis Nema 23 290 oz/in Stepper Motor
    X axis Nema 23 290 oz/in Stepper Motor
    Y axis Nema 23 425 oz/in Stepper Motor
    Software
    licensed Mach3
    Software Working Demo
    Rhino 4.0
    Rhinocam 2.0 g- code
    Dimensions
    (L x W x H) 47.24" x 33.38" x 22.83"
    or in mm
    1200mm x 848mm x 580mm

Work area dimensions
    Z-axis travel 6" or 150mm
    X-axis travel 26.20" or 666mm
    Y-axis travel 41.50" or1056mm
    The weight of cnc router
    170 pounds " 80kg ".

Unsure of why you would limit yourself to smaller bits with an ER11 equipped 2.2kw spindle No chance of running 1/2" router bits, do you realize that??

What VFD are they including?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

No it has a er20 I upgraded to a 2.2 with er20 collets just didnot change the list.

You will need an older computer runing Windows XP with a parallel port (not USB to parallel) and also a serial port is handy. I bought a Dell GX280 from a local person who reconditions computers from schools and colleges. The computer was only about $100. Get a serial to RS-485 adapter to control the VFD. This will allow you to set the spindle RPM through G-Code. I reccomend you take a look at CamBam, it's easy to use and inexpensive.
    Buckets of water and sawdust do not work well together. I use a small radiator from a dirt bike to cool the water. You can find them on eBay.
    Last edited by George Carlson; 08-21-2012 at 9:22 AM.

See how helpful these folks are------ now you have a list of more things to buy-------kinda like over on the Turners forum
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

It looks like the computer comes with the setup along with a monitor.

As another option.. I use a PC microprocessor coolant system to pump coolant through my spindle.
    It comes with a little radiator and fan.. I also would recommend against a bucket of coolant.. I'd try to find some kind of reservior or radiator like the other poster suggested.. I wouldn't use an open container for coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahl Troy Perry View Post
    No it has a er20 I upgraded to a 2.2 with er20 collets just didnot change the list.
    Whew - good!

What VFD does it come with?

I also use a 12V powered closed loop PC cooling system with my spindle. Bit overkill with the system I put in but it is what I bought used.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 08-22-2012 at 4:25 PM.

Wow you guys are good now I can tell my wife that I have to buy more for this router and when she ask why I can show her your comments on these items that I have to have. That is a good idea on the radiator. I was thinking of a 5 gal bucket with lid and fittings in the lid so it would be sealed and a filter in the bottom of bucket. Serial to RS-485 adapter to control the VFD I've never heard of this. But then I'm all green behind the ears on the cnc router. It will be a big learning curve I'm shure.

Wow you guys are good now I can tell my wife that I have to buy more for this router and when she ask why I can show her your comments on these items that I have to have. That is a good idea on the radiator. I was thinking of a 5 gal bucket with lid and fittings in the lid so it would be sealed and a filter in the bottom of bucket. Serial to RS-485 adapter to control the VFD I've never heard of this. But then I'm all green behind the ears on the cnc router. It will be a big learning curve I'm shure.
    Are you truly just getting into woodworking or are you a woodworker just getting into CNC? If the former, you'll be buying new tools like they're going out of style as you learn woodworking basics. The CNC is awesome but there are MANY other disciplines and tools necessary when all is said and done.

Congratulations on the CNC and the exciting journey you're about to embark upon.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

No I've been woodworking for years . But green to the world of cnc routers.

No I've been woodworking for years . But green to the world of cnc routers.
    That's a huge head start. You're going to love the world of CNC.

Where are you in your avatar picture? I'm currently on vacation in The California Redwoods (Humbolt county). These trees are amazing.
    Last edited by Bob Savage; 08-22-2012 at 9:58 PM.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Serial to RS-485 adapter to control the VFD I've never heard of this. But then I'm all green behind the ears on the cnc router. It will be a big learning curve I'm shure.

I am guessing you will have your G540 and mach setup with PWM to control your VFD and spindle speed - no need for modbus and the RS485. Modbus woul dgive you CCW rotation via a M4 command but chances are you will not use that right off anyway. There is a lot more to modbus control of a VFD than just buying an adapter.