Thread: Exterior Concrete Caulking

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exterior Concrete Caulking

Last Spring, after our pool was installed, a large portion of the concrete pad, along with the brick work surrounding the pool started to go straight down the crapper. After a very long, painful process, we finally got the concrete repoured and the bricking replaced. The brick work was done last December, and while it wasn't horribly cold outside, it was too cold, IMHO, for them to have tried to lay down the caulk that is supposed to go between the brick edging and the concrete pad. Sure enough, after only about one month, all of the caulk that had actually hardened started to peel out and generally look like garbage. At this point, I'm not going back to the installer, so I'm going to tackle this myself.

As seen by the picture I've attached, there are several spots around the perimeter of the pool where the gap between brick and concrete is between 1" and 1.5". At a few spots they are also 1-2" deep. The stuff that was used originally was your standard exterior concrete caulk (I can't remember the exact name). My question is, does anyone have any tips on how I can prepare some of the larger gaps before I lay the caulk? How about suggestions as to what material to use? Is the exterior concrete caulk the best way to go? The original guy just filled the gaps with sand, then laid down the caulk. That didn't turn out well at all.

I'd like to tackle this project this weekend, so any help you can offer would be HUGELY appreciated.

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images