Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else using Trim Head screws to join cabinets during installation?

My favorite way to join cabinets is to not need to join cabinets. I've installed entire kitchens with big cabinets and not a single "joined" cabinet except corners. Bigger cabinets are no fun to carry, but easier to install and often improves the look, depending on the style.

But for the times I do need to join cabinets, I try every trick I can think of to hide them--behind hinges, in drawer banks, pocket screws on outside of carcass. Sometimes with inset doors, the best place to hide a screw is the faceframe edge on the hinge side--easy to plug, and really doesn't show anyway.

For open bookcases, sometimes glue and clamps can work.

I use about 7 trim head screws a year, usually to wrestle some warped piece of trim into place when nothing else is working.

Sometimes I do a modified version of what Steve is talking about. I build boxes that I can handle, assemble in the shop, then fit a one piece face frame on splines, disasemble and put it back together on site.

Larry

Not that I've done that many, but I've mostly used faceframe mounted hinges and try to hide them behind the hinge.

Related, where do you find good quality trim head screws? I could only find them at one of the big boxes (not known for even 1/2 way decent screws) or "Trim Head Drywall Screws" at the local hardware store which usually carries 1/2 way decent screws but the Drywall part scared me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Not that I've done that many, but I've mostly used faceframe mounted hinges and try to hide them behind the hinge.

Related, where do you find good quality trim head screws? I could only find them at one of the big boxes (not known for even 1/2 way decent screws) or "Trim Head Drywall Screws" at the local hardware store which usually carries 1/2 way decent screws but the Drywall part scared me off.
    Matt, I've been using trim head screws from McFeely's on my cabinets and they seem very strong.
    Jeff

Matt as this thread started - the GRK trim heads are truly excellent and available nearly anywhere that screws are sold. As Jay mentioned though they don't hold up in exterior applications through cedar.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Well, not quite anywhere. I didn't see them in the big boxes or my local hardware. That's pretty much everything local that I know of. Googling GRK turns up lots of online places I've never heard of--but it does look like Amazon might have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Well, not quite anywhere. I didn't see them in the big boxes or my local hardware. That's pretty much everything local that I know of. Googling GRK turns up lots of online places I've never heard of--but it does look like Amazon might have them.
    Matt, Amazon sells the GRK 2-1/2" trim heads: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Matt, better yards like Fingerle in Ann Arbor or Chelsea Lumber will have GRK Brand screws. I use a ton of them for work with Azek/Versatech, and they are nice to work with.

Larry

Believe it or not I've never been to Fingerle. When I worked in Ann Arbor I didn't know about them and now I'm never up there when they are open. Though a friend redid my porch and bought Azek there for it so they have gotten a little business from me.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Lee, I was discussing using trim head screws to tie adjoining cabinet face frames. No way I'd use them to attach cabs to the wall.
    I use them for this...I missed that point in the OP. Sorry. They are perfect for this application as they don't really show and if you choose to counter sink slightly, there is only a small hole to plug if you want to finish them off. (I don't do that...I just drive them as perfectly flush as I can)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...