Thread: brass hinges---which ones?

brass hinges---which ones?

Has anyone here used the small solid brass hinges from LV? I'm getting ready to build a couple humidors and can't decide between Brussos or the LV........or for that matter I'm not sure if I'll use quadrant hinges or butt hinges. The Brussos look soooo nice but the LV's are less expensive.
    Any opinions?
    Thanks! Jeff

These look nice, and simple to install:

http://www.fine-boxes.com/smarthinges

But they aren't inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    These look nice, and simple to install:

http://www.fine-boxes.com/smarthinges

But they aren't inexpensive.
    Got a source for those that isn't out of stock? (and maybe is in the US?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Got a source for those that isn't out of stock? (and maybe is in the US?)
    No. That site is for the guy that has them manufactured to his specs. I don't think he has any U.S. distributors.

Boy, those are nice!! I wonder when these will be available.....from reading his newsletter it looks like he has a good relationship with Veritas.....maybe LV will be a North American distributor??

Neat Hinges for neat work!

Ian--I saw those in your box thread. They look really nice! Are they solid brass? I've already ordered Brussos for two of the boxes in the shop now but I have material prepped for a third box. I've never ordered anything from the UK, how much do you think shipping would be to get a pair stateside? Wait, I just looked and the shipping is included.......I guess I just need to look up the current conversion rate....
    How do the 'neat' screws work? I like the level of detail with aligned screw slots!

Hi Jeff

Yes shipping included - all will be revealed soon with the neat screw.

Cheers

Ian

Ian, how are your Neat hinges different from the Smart hinges?

Neat Hinges are Really Neat

Ian, how are your Neat hinges different from the Smart hinges?
    Hi Phil

There are two main differences -

- Price (our Neat Hinges are £27 for a pair of brass and £35 for nickel plated and also include a drill bit and 2 sets of screws, while the other Hinges are about £36 brass only)

- Our Neat Hinges require a small undercut to the lower mortice (I usually cut this with a 1/8 inch cutter). This takes a few minutes to do but saves a lot of money.

We also have excellent customer service and provide a very quick turnaround with almost all orders being shipped by the next day. Customers are emailed and advised of despatch date upon receipt of paypal order.

Any other queries please contact me.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian hawthorne View Post
    Hi Phil

There are two main differences -

- Price (our Neat Hinges are £27 for a pair of brass and £35 for nickel plated and also include a drill bit and 2 sets of screws, while the other Hinges are about £36 brass only)

- Our Neat Hinges require a small undercut to the lower mortice (I usually cut this with a 1/8 inch cutter). This takes a few minutes to do but saves a lot of money.

We also have excellent customer service and provide a very quick turnaround with almost all orders being shipped by the next day. Customers are emailed and advised of despatch date upon receipt of paypal order.

Any other queries please contact me.

Ian
    Would you be able to demonstrate (with some pictures maybe) the undercut that is necessary? Not sure what you mean.

Would you be able to demonstrate (with some pictures maybe) the undercut that is necessary? Not sure what you mean.
    Hi Phil - here is an image of the small undercut needed for the lower mortise and also a video showing how to fit.

neat hinge mortise.jpg