Thread: Shag bark hickory

Shag bark hickory

Hi, all. I have the opportunity to pick some (enough for a couple bowls, not a load of it) shag bark hickory. I was wondering what to expect in the way of whether it is worth the effort, or if it is a waste of time.

It is from Canada (not sure if that is a "DUH!" comment...not sure if that is where it is native). Thanks for any help you can give me...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike
    Not sure about your's but what I've turned here in Ohio is beautiful and turns rather nicely.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Send some this way!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

If you are unsure Mike send it my way. I will turn it and let you know. I don't know if the few pieces I have turned have been from Canada but the pieces I have turned have turned nicely and finished nicely.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Best turned wet---------- it gets really hard dry
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Mike, get the Hickory and turn it but like Gary says, it turns great when wet and is super hard when dry. We have Shag Bark Hickory and a couple other Hickory's that grow around here. Hickory is related to Pecan and they turn pretty much the same.

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Yeah, I read that hickory and pecan are in the same family. I know how hard hickory is, and that is partly why I asked the question. Wasn't sure how much Shagbark Hickory is like "our" hickory.

Unfortunately, the tree died this year. They are cutting the tree up this winter. I won't be picking it up til next summer. Hopefully, it will still be a little wet if not green anymore...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I cut a hickory that died in our front yard. Had a few worm holes...
    016.jpg

try talking them into getting the log off the ground
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Shag bark hickory grows here in West Virginia, it is the preferred hickory to get edible nuts from. The nuts are much easier to crack and get the good stuff out. I have turned some and it is very pretty, like the contrast between the sapwood and heart. It takes a nice finish. Gary is right about getting it off the ground, it get wormy very quick. Now if you like worm holes and slimy stuff on your face shield...........
    Fred

Richard, thanks for the pic. Nice form! And nice wood, too. I have nothing against worm holes, so, that'd be kinda cool...

I'll see what I can do about getting it off the ground, Jim. Not sure how likely that'll be, though. But thanks, Fred, for the info about your experience with it.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike,

Here in Indiana we have several kinds Hickory trees. I've turned Shagbark, Pignut, and Bitternut Hickories. They all turn about the same, very hard when dry. I rough turn then DNA and finish turn. They take a great finish, and usually stark differences between the heart wood and the sap wood.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Turned some partially dry tight gain hickory last week. It had a tendency to chip out if not cut correctly. I've found that to be true when using a router on it in flat work also.
    Member Illiana Woodturners