Thread: Fein Vac attached to Hitachi SCMS tip .. Funny

Fein Vac attached to Hitachi SCMS tip .. Funny

I got my Fein Turbo II back from the repair place .. I replaced it with the new Makita Vac when it broke, figured I would dedicate it to the SCMS when it was repaired.

So I set it up, plug it in .. fix the hose and hit the " on " and " automatic " switches .. As soon as I plug it in, the vac fires up .. I grumble..

Under those settings, it should not come on unless I pull the trigger on the SCMS .. It should be " automatic " .. So I figure its fixed but still broken.. I remove the manual / auto switch, check for grit.. get kinda ornry .. mutter a bit .. call it names.. and try again ..

Same thing.. plug it in and the vacuum starts .. grr..

Turns out its the laser on the SCMS .. which I never use anyway .. lol It has an on - off switch on the saw, turn the laser off and the Vac sits waiting .. I guess it draws enough power to trigger the vac ..

Thought i would post this for the next fella ..

It says "greater than 5 amps" on my Fein vac to activate the auto. Seems like a laser should not pull that much?

Yup, the discontinued Delta/Porter Cable CMS with dual lasers will do the same thing. It appears that the switch cuts power to the lasers but the laser's power supply is powered anytime the saw is plugged in. I don't usually have a problem with the vac starting prematurely but mine doesn't want to shut off. It'll slow down but keep running past the few seconds' delay. Eventually it may shut off or I may run out of patience and turn it off. I have the Fein Turbo II as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Levitski View Post
    It says "greater than 5 amps" on my Fein vac to activate the auto. Seems like a laser should not pull that much?
    Maybe it cuts with the laser

Well, I have an on/ off switch on my old Hitachi C10FS SCMS which activates the laser .. The on/off switch pretty much activates the Fein Vac .. lol

What was funny at the time was how annoyed I was.. sigh..