Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, who's gonna be first?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Personally, I find it unseemly to be bashing a company for making high end products. This thread is a perfect example of what's driving the race to the bottom. Thank heavens for a company like Festool that can ignore all of this nonsense and make professional tools...just like we used to have before the US consumer drove the market to disposable, Chinese garbage.
    John, I wouldn't worry too much. Of course, there is a race to the bottom, but there is also a race to the top. People may be joking about the cost of this light, but I think it is something like- "No, I don't like Ruth's Chris, I prefer the Mcdonalds value menu". Nobody really prefers the value menu, but that's what fits in the budget, so live with it the best you can.

As far as quality tools- many people think that Craftsman mechanics tools are good quality. When I worked as a mechanic, I regularly broke their sockets. Then I spent a ridiculous amount of money and bought snap-on, which I still have today. Sometimes your work can lead you to a place where you need to buy the best tool available regardless of cost, and hope that it's good enough. I think that festool will sell it's lights to that sort of person.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    John, I wouldn't worry too much. Of course, there is a race to the bottom, but there is also a race to the top. People may be joking about the cost of this light, but I think it is something like- "No, I don't like Ruth's Chris, I prefer the Mcdonalds value menu". Nobody really prefers the value menu, but that's what fits in the budget, so live with it the best you can.

As far as quality tools- many people think that Craftsman mechanics tools are good quality. When I worked as a mechanic, I regularly broke their sockets. Then I spent a ridiculous amount of money and bought snap-on, which I still have today. Sometimes your work can lead you to a place where you need to buy the best tool available regardless of cost, and hope that it's good enough. I think that festool will sell it's lights to that sort of person.
    The thing is that it's NOT an expensive light. A decent LED flashlight will cost you $70 or $80. This thing puts out a ton of light, has a ton of well thought out features for positioning, is built like a brick and can run off line power, internal battery, a car charger or additional Festool batteries. Regardless, people jump on it immediately because they see the Festool name and they have a problem with the company. If this was a Dewalt or Milwaukee product, no one would dare say boo about it. It's just starting to get old.

You make an excellent point. For me, I own quite a bit of green and they make fantastic tools. I'm a hobbyist that sells a piece or two every now and then, and I have to say, I grab the green before anything else. I also know snap-on. I remember my youth working in my brothers garage pumping gas and the snap-on guy coming around once every couple weeks and would go through my brothers toolbox (over 30k worth back then). If a socket or something looked damaged or in bad shape he'd pull it and put a new one in its place. I remember small wrench sets over a hundred bucks. But I also remember having a car up with a snap on socket on it and a breaker bar (pipe) and two of us putting all our weight on the bar to break a bolt loose. Whats the old saying you get what you pay for. I probably won't get the light because it does not fit an application I would need. I think for a pro on job sites it would be good.

It is priced appropriately although some Festool items are certainly overpriced.

IF you need this type of worklight, and you try one, I don't think anyone would think they made a mistake buying it. Festool has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. I would guess this light has one of the lowest return rates of any item.

I was working in an attic yesterday with another person using a Milwaukee worklight. After a short time he just turned his off.

Now if we could just get Makita to copy it for their LXT system...............

Gee a tough, touchy crowd. While some were serious, I think most comments were made in jest.

As to a work light, unless I can't get one in the space where I'm working, I much prefer a corded flourescent LED (heat) light

If I ever find the need for a good LED light I will buy it, without hesitation.. I needed a good sander so I bought a Rotex, a good drill so I got a C-15, a mitre saw so I got the Kapex.. etc. etc. I buy the best tool that I can afford.. You only cry once with Festool..

Keep calm and carry on

If you want a chance to win one of these lights, go to festoolsweepstakes.com. They're giving one away each week in August.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

some 1,000 lumen tactical/survival flashlights sell for $300. Nuts huh? If I won the lottery, I'd buy one.

Wow,

In an attempt to be humorous, somehow I seem to have stepped on a few toes. I apologize for starting this thread

Rick Potter

Actually, thanks for posting it! I recently picked up a cheap Craftsman LED work light, and, despite its many shortcomings, I have found it invaluable for working under old houses. As a Festool convert, I think I will actually buy this new light.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    The thing is that it's NOT an expensive light. A decent LED flashlight will cost you $70 or $80. This thing puts out a ton of light, has a ton of well thought out features for positioning, is built like a brick and can run off line power, internal battery, a car charger or additional Festool batteries. Regardless, people jump on it immediately because they see the Festool name and they have a problem with the company. If this was a Dewalt or Milwaukee product, no one would dare say boo about it. It's just starting to get old.
    I'll be honest - my first thought was working through the details of a line about it's carrying case - since it is so small, it would be a Systainer Lite, eh? <insert rimshot here>

Then, I read John C's post, and decided that maybe I could click on a couple links before I smarted off.. I'm trying to do better, folks.

I gotta tell you - if I had other Green Dustless Battery-Powered tools, I would grab one in a heartbeat - the key being on-hand inventory of big batteries and a charger. That is not out of line for a performance tool, IMO. And I have no doubt it works every bit as well as advertised. Heaven knows how often I have wished I had one - my Makita light works great - but not nearly as good as that.

Plus - to reduce the cost, I could get two of them, and sell my set of car maintenance ramps <insert second rimshot here>.

Bottom line - John C - you ain't never come close to stupid in all of your posts that I have read. Carry on.

Regards,

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I am I'm going to win one

if it green... I gotta have it

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Bottom line - John C - you ain't never come close to stupid in all of your posts that I have read. Carry on.
    If only my mouth came with a backspace key...

Quote Originally Posted by Will Rowland View Post
    Actually, thanks for posting it! I recently picked up a cheap Craftsman LED work light, and, despite its many shortcomings, I have found it invaluable for working under old houses.
    I have one of those too. For $15, any shortcomings are allowed. That light on a lithium ion battery, lasts hours, and hours, and hours. It was very welcomed during the big power outage we had recently.