Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for Cat People

My cat shakes it off and runs around getting it all over the place

Belinda
    Our cat "Ernestine" , a shelter cat , was as the shelter said " about 3 " when we got her. I think ALL of the cats at a shelter are " about 3". She is not picky about her water dish. We have very good water , we're on a well. She gets fresh water every morning at the same time I feed her. She's an early riser, I'm up at 5 every day I work SHE"S up at 5 EVERY day. We use both wet and dry food, wet in the morning and dry in a bowl available all day.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
    Belinda
    Our cat "Ernestine" , a shelter cat , was as the shelter said " about 3 " when we got her. I think ALL of the cats at a shelter are " about 3". She is not picky about her water dish. We have very good water , we're on a well. She gets fresh water every morning at the same time I feed her. She's an early riser, I'm up at 5 every day I work SHE"S up at 5 EVERY day. We use both wet and dry food, wet in the morning and dry in a bowl available all day.

Chris
    I completely understand. I'm up at 4:30 every day I work, and the cats don't get the concept of Saturday and Sunday.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I don't know that cats drink a lot of water. They don't normally pant, they don't really sweat and they don't seem to excrete all that much. We have 2 crocks about 4 feet from the dry food dishes. 3 cats are fine with the crocks as they are. The 19 lb. Maine Coon has to take a paw and pull on the top of the crock to create waves - and sometimes a mess. Then it's okay to drink. We have a sump discharge that a couple cats had fun with. If they were in the back yard they'd hear the sump pump start and make a bee line for the discharge end and have a drink. Yum.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-23-2012 at 8:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Our cat drinks from his water fountain, the dog's water bowls, and from LOML's water glass if she's not attentive (ich!). Unless you know your cat is dehydrated, I would just keep water in a bowl (change 1-2 times per day). A cat won't deprive itself of water.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Our 2 cats like their water bowl on the bathroom sink. They drink lots. Dry food always available. Their treat is a rounded teaspoonful of soft food at 6 PM. They have a hard time when the clocks change twice a year. So far no problems with hairballs as long as we give them a full-body wax job regularly. And you thought a bikini wax was painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Our 2 cats like their water bowl on the bathroom sink. They drink lots. Dry food always available. Their treat is a rounded teaspoonful of soft food at 6 PM. They have a hard time when the clocks change twice a year. So far no problems with hairballs as long as we give them a full-body wax job regularly. And you thought a bikini wax was painful.
    Bathroom counter, I may try that as skittish cat likes to jump up on the counter for her morning brushing. That's her "alone time" with the SO. They chat while he shaves, etc.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

IAMS hairball formula food helped bigtime with our cats when we had them. That became their new food. Cats by their nature don't require water the way that people or dogs do. They are able to go longer on less water. I've read that that is why their pee smells so bad. Remember that cats are a very adaptable and successful species. They'll take a drink when they need to.
    I posted a link to Amazon so you can read the reviews. Though the one I linked to is 5 small bags and much more expensive than normal.
    http://www.amazon.com/IAMS-Hairball-...owViewpoints=1
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Cats will only drink as much as they ever need to. They were originally desert dwellers a long time ago and Egyptians managed to domesticate them. Most of their water needs come from the food they eat and the wetter the better.
    Last edited by Chuck Wintle; 08-23-2012 at 4:17 PM.

re: drinking out of the toilet with the lid closed

If you think a lid will keep them out, you're dreaming. LOL. I came home one night and couldn't find one of my cats. I was young...20 or 21 years old. I was in graduate school and had my first apartment. These were the first living things that I had to take care of all by myself. I was mortified. Oh no! I lost one of my cats...what the heck have I done??

*****meooowww......meoowwwww****

Huh? Where is that coming from? Closet? The fridge? The freezer?!? The OVEN?!?!??

LOL...no. To this day I don't know how he did it, but he opened a heavy drawer on my desk, jumped in, and then closed the drawer.

If you want to know for sure, sprinkle a little salt or pepper on the toilet seat cover. If they're lifting it, you'll see it moved. Back then, in 1995, having the little blue toilet dye junk was de rigueur, and I wanted to keep them out so I kept the lid down....but then I noticed they stopped drinking their water. Hmmmmm..... Salt and pepper don't lie

Clients ask me this question all the time. They don't think their cats drink enough water. But they are almost never dehydrated, so I tell them not to worry about it. Most dehydrated cats have kidney problems and don't conserve the water they should so they are urinating all the time. Those cats also drink an awful lot of water. If the cat is otherwise healthy, I would keep on keeping on. Remember cats are only about 4-6% the weight of a human. Most get fed too much and people might expect them to drink too much. An eleven pound cat would require about 267 ml per day of fluids, which is a little over a quarter liter or half a pint. If you are feeding them wet food, they wouldn't need a lot more.
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

About the hairballs. Nothing has been proven to really "help" with hairballs. That's why there are lots of solutions floating around. If there were a good one, that would be the one every one uses. We give our cats the Iams Weight Management and Hairball Control. It comes in a teal bag. That being said, we never had a real problem with hairballs before or after starting that food. On the above answer, I just used eleven pounds because that is 5 kg. Most weight appropriate cats are a little smaller.
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

One more thing, about putting the gel on the paws. I suggested that once. Then I got invited to come clean the carpet that the cat ran on when it took off after that treatment.

Thanks for the advise Larry. There was one gel that was malt flavor (I can't recall who made it) but no pet stores around here carry it any more. The cats loved to lick that one off of my finger. I think it was called Petromalt. I'll look for it online and maybe give it another try. I'll weigh the cats tonight since I can't recall how much they weighed on their last vet visit, just out of curiosity. They are both under ten pounds I'm pretty sure.

Bella Terra

Belinda, get a dog. Not only will they drink from anything (including the toilet bowl), but they will rid you of your cat problem...
    I drink, therefore I am.