Thread: Mahogony source in or near Central NJ

Mahogony source in or near Central NJ

Im getting ready to build a Bar in my house. Im looking for plywood and dimensional lumber dealers in my area with reasonable prices on Mahogany. Sapele seems to be the reasonable choice because of price.
    Also looking for bar accessories such as bar rail, tap, etc.

Thanks for any Help
    Anthony

Not exactly in central NJ, but not so far away either: Irion Lumber in Central PA has incredible mahogany. They ship, but it's really worth a trip.

Industrial Plywood (Reading & Lewistown) has your plywood.

US Mahogany is in Aberdeen. Not a bargain, but they do have a lot of stuff.
    "Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions"- Pascal, 1623-1662

I have bought some small pieces for projects recently and find that it is pretty expensive. However, it is a nice wood to work with.

I have been surprised at the number of people selling wood on the Bay and some with pretty good prices and good ratings. I have not tried any but am looking at making some small purchases to see how they are.

Willard brothers for ply. But they are expensive.

I would mail order the mahogany from bell or horizon. I like both.

Industrial ply in pa will ship to us, but it's only economical if you buy several sheets

I have also bought from woodboardsnbeams. Ymmv, but I found Steve and Janet great to work with. No nonsense though.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-22-2012 at 8:05 PM.

Thanks everyone for your help
    anthony

Is Thompson Mahogany, near Philadelphia, still in business? I bought some genuine Mahogany from them years ago, wide boards (10-12' boards in the 22-24" range). They only sold wholesale so the minimum order was 200 bf (at $3.00/bf!!!!!!)

I know Condons Lumber in White Plains NY carries mahogany - and they deliver.

woodfinder.com is a good way to find sources near you. There is a wood dealer out near Trenton. (I'm too lazy to look it up.) I wouldn't go to Irion. Having worked for him I know the guy can be nice but sometimes not so nice. This is a public forum so I will limit what I have to say to that. There are dealers in southeastern Pa. that would be much closer than him. Gotta say this, the man knows his wood and gets good stuff.

+1 on Condons.

We recently added a pair of 5" Chicago bar rail cutters (one pair for the profile and one for the back cut) to our molding knife collection and could process this part of your request. And we routinely work with Sapele. PM me if you are interested.

Another yard / moulding supplier could be Monteath Moulding Co in Old Bridge. Not easy to find but I've bought from them before.

Note that ribbon Sapele is prone to tear out and will easily fracture along the grain lines.
    I can't even use a scraper without gouging the surface and I detest power sanding.

While it is striking, I won't use this again other than as a veneer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try Rosenzweig Lumber in the Bronx

http://rosenzweiglumber.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Note that ribbon Sapele is prone to tear out and will easily fracture along the grain lines.
    I can't even use a scraper without gouging the surface and I detest power sanding.

While it is striking, I won't use this again other than as a veneer.
    I can attest to this. One of my early projects was with ribbon sapelle and it was a real bear - beautiful wood, but a pain in the...